High pressure processing and thermal pasteurization of strawberry purée: quality parameters and shelf life evaluation during cold storage
- 365 Downloads
This study was aimed at monitoring changes in the quality of strawberry purée preserved by high pressure processing (HPP) and thermal pasteurization (TP) during cold storage (6 °C) and determining its optimal storage period. The storage period of strawberry purée treated at 500 MPa, 50 °C, 15 min based on microbiological changes was 12 weeks. During this period, purée lost 32% of polyphenols, 73% of anthocyanins and entire vitamin C. Color changes described as dE increased up to 5.05 whereas the overall sensory quality decreased by 3 points on a 9-point scale. Under similar storage conditions, TP-preserved purée lost only 28% of polyphenols and 54% of anthocyanins, and entire vitamin C. Color changes were more visible (dE = 7.21) compared to the HPP sample whereas the overall sensory quality decreased only by 2 points. Recommended cold shelf-life for the HPP product was estimated at 6 weeks, during which period HPP-preserved purée had higher content of polyphenols and colour parameters compared to TP purée.
KeywordsHigh pressure processing Thermal processing Strawberries Anthocyanins Polyphenols Vitamin C Storage period
The Project was financed from funds of National Research Center (Grant No. NN 312 252540), and co-financed from European Union funds under the European Social Fund (Contract No. 78/ES/ZS-II/W-2151.1/11). Authors would like to thank Prof. Monika Fonberg-Broczek (UNIPRESS, Poland) for the possibility of using a pressure cabinet.
- Da Silva Pinto M, Lajolo FM, Genovese MI (2008) Bioactive compounds and quantification of total ellagic acid in strawberries (Fragaria × ananassa Duch). Food Chem 107(4):1629–1635. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.10.038
- Gao X, Ohlander M, Jeppson N, Bjork L, Trajkovski V (2000) Changes in antioxidant effect and their relationship to phytonutrients in fruit of sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.) during maturation. J Agric Food Chem 48:1845–1890Google Scholar
- Hartmann A, Patz C, Andlauert H, Dietrich H, Ludwig M (2010) Change of ascorbic acid and phenolic compounds during the processing of strawberry purée and juice. Fruit Process 20(3):102–109Google Scholar
- Marszałek K, Mitek M, Skąpska S (2011) Application of high hydrostatic pressure (UHP) to stabilize strawberry juices and nectars. ZYWN-Nauk Technol Jakosc 1(74):113–123Google Scholar
- Oszmiański J, Wojdyło A, Matuszewski P (2007) In polyphenols compound changes In the industrial production process of concentrated strawberry juice. ZYWN-Nauk Technol Jakosc 1(50):94–104Google Scholar