Evaluation of Cancer 101: An Educational Program for Native Settings
- 132 Downloads
This community-based intervention study examines the impact of Cancer 101, a cancer education resource developed in collaboration with American Indians/Alaska Natives to improve cancer knowledge, action regarding cancer control in tribal settings, and survival rates for members of their communities. Pre/post-surveys used to assess knowledge, attitudes, perceived benefits and future activities at baseline, immediately post-training, and at 4-6 months. Participants demonstrated significant change in knowledge, attitude, and cancer control activities. Cancer 101 provides a critical pathway to increase knowledge and promote action to reduce the burden and improve survival of cancer within tribal communities.
KeywordsCancer knowledge Cancer control Tribal setting
We give our humble thanks and appreciation to tribes and the coalition members. This effort could not have been done without their support, input, and participation.
- 1.Department of Health and Human Services, Indian Health Services. Trends in Indian Health: 2000-2001. Rockville, MD.Google Scholar
- 2.Lanier AP, Kelly JJ, Maxwell J et al (2006) Cancer in Alaska Natives 1969-2003: 35-year report. Office of Alaska Native Health Research and Alaska Native Epidemiology Center. Alaska Native Tribal Health ConsortiumGoogle Scholar
- 3.Department of Health and Human Services, PHS, NIH, NCI. Report of the Special Action Committee: program initiatives related to minorities, the underserved and persons aged 65 and over. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office. 1992, Appendix A (Department of Health and Human Service, IHS, 1997).Google Scholar
- 5.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Comprehensive Cancer Control Program (NCCCP): about the program. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/ncccp/about.htm. Accessed 31 Dec 31 2008.
- 7.The National Cancer Institute’s Cancer Information Service. Available at http://cis.nci.nih.gov/index.html. Accessed 7 Mar 2009.
- 8.Mayo Clinic. Spirit of EAGLES. Available at http://www.nativeamericanprograms.org/index-spirit.html. Accessed 5 Jan 2009.
- 9.Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board. Northwest Tribal Cancer Control Project. Available at http://www.npaihb.org/programs/nw_tribal_cancer_control_project/. Accessed 31 Dec 2008.