Study on Mechanical and Tribological Characterization of Al2O3/SiCp Reinforced Aluminum Metal Matrix Composite
- 29 Downloads
In this investigation, an attempt has been made to hardness and wear rate of Al7075 hybrid metal matrix composite reinforced with the hard ceramics like alumina (2, 4, and 6 wt.% of Al2O3) and silicon carbide (3, 6, and 9 wt.% of SiC) is fabricated by using stir casting method. The samples were aging at temperature of 140 ∘C, 160 ∘C and 180 ∘C and monitored by hardness test. Taguchi’s L27 Orthogonal array was used for optimizing the process parameters. The obtained results indicated that hardness increased with increasing reinforcement. A wear test was performed using pin-on disk apparatus at room temperature for constant load of 30N, at a fixed sliding speed of 1.66 m/s and wear resistance increased as the weight percentage of reinforcement increased. Scanning electron microscope (SEM) studies were carried out to evaluate the worn surface. From the analysis of variance (ANOVA), Al2O3 is the significant factor that affects the hardness and wear loss of hybrid composites followed by SiCp and heat treatment. Confirmatory test was performed for the optimized parameters and these results were within the acceptable range when compared with the experimental results.
KeywordsHybrid composite Stir casting Aging temperature Wear rate Taguchi techniques
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Iqbal J, Shaikh MA, Ahmad M, Shoaib KA (2013) J Mater Res Technol 16:90–97Google Scholar
- 11.Shanmughasundaram P (2015) Intern J Res Appl Sci Eng Technol 3:433–436Google Scholar
- 14.Rajasekaran T, Palanikumar K, Arunachalam S (2013) SciVerse Sci Direct Procedia Eng 51:781–790Google Scholar
- 15.Aravindan MK, Balamurugan K, Murali G (2014) Carb-Sci Technol:388–394Google Scholar
- 16.Rambabu P, Eswara PN, Kutumbarao VV, Wanhill RJH (2017) Aerospace Mater Mater Technol Indian Inst Metals Series: 29–51Google Scholar
- 17.Saeidi M, Barmouz M, Besharati Givi MK (2015) Mater Res:1156–1162Google Scholar
- 18.Anuj Singh B (2013) Intern J Sci Res 197–200Google Scholar