Radical addition of perfluorinated alkyl iodides to multi-layered graphene and single-walled carbon nanotubes
- 879 Downloads
A simple one-pot reaction that serves to functionalize graphite nanosheets (graphene) and single-walled carbon nanotubes (SWNTs) with perfluorinated alkyl groups is reported. Free radical addition of 1-iodo-1H,1H,2H, 2H-perfluorododecane to ortho-dichlorobenzene suspensions of the carbon nanomaterial is initiated by thermal decomposition of benzoyl peroxide. Similarly, UV photolysis of 1-iodo-perfluorodecane serves to functionalize the carbon materials. Perfluorododecyl-SWNTs, perfluorododecyl-graphene, and perfluorodecyl-graphene are characterized by infrared (IR) and Raman spectroscopy, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), and atomic force microscopy (AFM). The products show enhanced dispersability in CHCl3 as compared to unfunctionalized starting materials. The advantage of this one-pot functionalization procedure lies in the use of pristine graphite as starting material thereby avoiding the use of harsh oxidizing conditions.
KeywordsNanotube single-walled carbon nanotube graphene radical addition
- Adams, D. J.; Dyson, P. J.; Tavener, S. J. In Chemistry in Alternative Reaction Media. Wiley: Sussex, 2004; pp. 57–71.Google Scholar
- Hamilton, C. E.; Ogrin, D.; McJilton, L.; Moore, V. C.; Anderson, R.; Smalley, R. E.; Barron, A. R. Functionalization of SWNTs to facilitate the coordination of metal ions, compounds and clusters. Dalton Trans. 2008, 2937–2944.Google Scholar
- Armarego, W. L. F.; Perrin, D. D. In Purification of Laboratory Chemicals. Butterworth-Heinemann: Oxford, 4th Ed., 1997; p. 105.Google Scholar
- Chiang, I. W.; Brinson, B. E.; Huang, A. Y.; Willis, P. A.; Bronikowski, M. J.; Margrave, J. L.; Smalley, R. E.; Hauge, R. H. Purification and characterization of single-wall carbon nanotubes (SWNTs) obtained from the gas-phase decomposition of CO (HiPco process). J. Phys. Chem. B 2001, 105, 8297–8301.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- NIST XPS spectral database, http://srdata.nist.gov/xps/ (access Oct 5, 2009).
- Zhang, L.; Zhang, J.; Schmandt, N.; Cratty, J.; Khabashesku, V. N.; Kelly, K. F.; Barron, A. R. AFM and STM characterization of thiol and thiophene functionalized SWNTs: Pitfalls in the use of gold nanoparticles to determine the extent of side-wall functionalization in SWNTs. Chem. Commun. 2005, 5429–5430.Google Scholar