Two distinct fluorescent quantum clusters of gold starting from metallic nanoparticles by pH-dependent ligand etching
Two fluorescent quantum clusters of gold, namely Au25 and Au8, have been synthesized from mercaptosuccinic acid-protected gold nanoparticles of 4–5 nm core diameter by etching with excess glutathione. While etching at pH ∼3 yielded Au25, that at pH 7–8 yielded Au8. This is the first report of the synthesis of two quantum clusters starting from a single precursor. This simple method makes it possible to synthesize well-defined clusters in gram quantities. Since these clusters are highly fluorescent and are highly biocompatible due to their low metallic content, they can be used for diagnostic applications.
KeywordsGold cluster glutathione pH ligand etching fluorescence
- Jain, P. K.; Huang, X.; El-Sayed, I. H.; El-Sayed, M. A. Noble metals on the nanoscale: Optical and photothermal properties and some applications in imaging, sensing, biology, and medicine. Acc. Chem. Res. 2008, in press, [DOI: 10.1021/ar7002804].Google Scholar
- Nunokawa, K.; Onaka, S.; Ito, M.; Horibe, M.; Yonezawa, T.; Nishihara, H.; Ozeki, T.; Chiba, H.; Watase, S.; Nakamoto, M. Synthesis, single crystal X-ray analysis, and TEM for a single-sized Au11 cluster stabilized by SR ligands: The interface between molecules and particles. J. Organomet. Chem. 2006, 691, 638–642.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Menard, L. D.; Gao, S.-P.; Xu, H.; Twesten, R. D.; Harper, A. S.; Song, Y.; Wang, G.; Douglas, A. D.; Yang, J. C.; Frenkel, A. I. et al. Sub-nanometer Au monolayer-protected clusters exhibiting molecule-like electronic behavior: Quantitative high-angle annular dark-field scanning transmission electron microscopy and electrochemical characterization of clusters with precise atomic stoichiometry. J. Phys. Chem. B 2006, 110, 12874–12883.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Menard, L. D.; Xu, H.; Gao, S. P.; Twesten, R. D.; Harper, A. S.; Song, Y.; Wang, G.; Douglas, A. D.; Yang, J. C.; Frenkel, A. I.; et al. Metal core bonding motifs of monodisperse icosahedral Au13 and larger Au monolayer-protected clusters as revealed by X-ray absorption spectroscopy and transmission electron microscopy. J. Phys. Chem. B 2006, 110, 14564–14573.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nishida, N.; Shibu, E. S.; Yao, H.; Oonishi, T.; Kimura, K.; Pradeep, T. Fluorescent gold nanoparticle superlattices. Adv. Mater. 2008, in press, [DOI: 10.1002/adma.200800632].Google Scholar