Effects of Ligustrazine on Airway Inflammation in A Mouse Model of Neutrophilic Asthma
To investigate the effects of ligustrazine (LTZ) on airway inflammation in a mouse model of neutrophilic asthma (NA).
Forty healthy C57BL/6 female mice were randomly divided into 4 groups using a random number table, including the normal control, NA, LTZ and dexamethasone (DXM) groups, with 10 rats in each group. The NA mice model was established by the method of ovalbumin combined with lipopolysaccharide sensitization. At 0.5 h before each challenge, LTZ and DXM groups were intraperitoneally injected with LTZ (80 mg/kg) or DXM (0.5 mg/kg) for 14 d, respectively, while the other two groups were given the equal volume of normal saline. After last challenge for 24 h, the aerosol inhalation of methacholine was performed and the airway reactivity was measured. The bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) was collected. The Wright-Giemsa staining was used for total white blood cells and differential counts. The levels of cytokines interleukin (IL)-17 and IL-10 were detected by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. The pathological change of lung tissue was observed by hematoxylin eosin staining.
The airway responsiveness of the NA group was signifificantly higher than the normal control group (P<0.05), while those in the LTZ and DXM groups were signifificantly lower than the NA group (P<0.05). The neutrophil and eosinophil counts in the LTZ and DXM groups were signifificantly lower than the NA group (P<0.05), and those in the LTZ group were signifificantly lower than the DXM group (P<0.05). There were a large number of peribronchiolar and perivascular inflammatory cells in fifiltration in the NA group. The airway inflflammation in the LTZ and DXM groups were signifificantly alleviated than the NA group. The infifiltration in the LTZ group was signifificantly reduced than the DXM group. Compared with the normal control group, the IL-17 level in BALF was signifificantly increased and the IL-10 level in BALF was signifificantly decreased in the NA group (P<0.05). LTZ and DXM treatment signifificantly decreased IL-17 levels and increased IL-10 levels compared with the NA group (P<0.05), and the changes in the above indices were more signifificant in the LTZ group (P<0.05).
LTZ could alleviate the airway inflflammation in the NA mice model through increasing the IL-10 level and decreasing the IL-17 level.
Keywordsligustrazine neutrophilic asthma airway inflflammation cytokine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Zhang YX, Nong GM, Liao J, Jiang M, Liang XA, Liu J. Application of induced sputum cytology analysis for childhood asthma subtype. Chin J Appl Clin Pediatr 2010;25:129–132.Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou C, Yin KS, Chen JH, Shi Y. Changes of the ratio of T helper 17 cells and the level of IL-17 in bronchial asthmatic mice. J Nanjing Med Univ (Nat Sci) 2009;29:109–112.Google Scholar
- 7.Liu RT, Li BZ. Clinical observation of Ligustrazine Injection adjuvant therapy 36 cases infant with bronchial asthma. China Med Herald (Chin) 2011;8:66–68.Google Scholar
- 8.Zhu W, Tian H. The treatment of 38 children with asthma in acute stage by tetramethylpyrazine and small dosages of tripterygioside. West J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2015;28:102–104.Google Scholar
- 9.Xie H, Sun SH. The observation of azithromycin combined ligustrazine on the treatment of glucocorticoid resistance type of asthma. Modern J Integr Tradit Chin West Med (Chin) 2003;13:987–988.Google Scholar
- 10.Jiang H, Chen X, Wang JY, Xue YF. Effect of ligustrazine on Th17 cell and balance of Th17/Treg in asthma model mouse. Chin J Immun 2014;10:1339–1343.Google Scholar
- 11.Wang YJ, Zhu HZ, Kong XC, Lu L, Liu L, Zhang Y, et al. Observation of the effect of ligustrazine on improving the airway of asthmatic rats. Chin Tradit Patent Med (Chin) 2014;36:834–837.Google Scholar
- 13.Liu XW, Jiang M, Nong GM, Liu HY, Peng F. To establish a mice model of neutrophilic asthma and research the airway hyperreactivity. Chin J Asthma (Electronic Version) 2013;7:151–158.Google Scholar
- 16.Zhang LQ. Clinical observation of pidotimod and ligustrazine in children with bronchial asthma. Shaanxi Med J (Chin) 2013;42:355–356.Google Scholar
- 20.Wang ZE, Zhou XN, Yang Yi, Liu ZY. Effect of Jian'erle Granule on Th17/Treg imbalance of asthma mice. Chin J Integr Med 2016;36:1510–1514.Google Scholar
- 24.Chen CR, Deng JM, Gong C, Zou XY, Wei X, Yang ML, et al. Study on the imbalance of IL-1, IL-10 and IL-4, IFN-γ in peripheral blood of chronic persistent allergic bronchial asthma. J Guangxi Med Univ (Chin) 2014;31:414–415.Google Scholar
- 25.Shi YH, Shi GC, Wan HY, Jiang LH, Ai XY, Zhu HX, et al. The prevalence of blood Thl7 and CD4+CD25+ Treg cells in patients with bronchial asthma. Chin J Immun (Chin) 2010;26:740–743.Google Scholar