A parallel matheuristic for the technician routing and scheduling problem
- 1.1k Downloads
The Technician Routing and Scheduling Problem (TRSP) consists in routing staff to serve requests for service, taking into account time windows, skills, tools, and spare parts. Typical applications include maintenance operations and staff routing in telecoms, public utilities, and in the health care industry. In this paper, we present a formal definition of the TRSP, discuss its relation with the Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows (VRPTW), and review related research. From a methodological perspective, we describe a matheuristic composed of a constructive heuristic, a parallel Adaptive Large Neighborhood Search, and a mathematical programming based post-optimization procedure that successfully tackles the TRSP. We validate the matheuristic on the Solomon VRPTW instances, where we achieve an average gap of \(0.23\,\%\), and matched 44 out of 55 optimal solutions. Finally, we illustrate how the matheuristic successfully solves a set of TRSP instances extended from the Solomon benchmark.
KeywordsVehicle routing Technician routing and scheduling Matheuristic ALNS VRPTW
Financial support for this work was provided by the CPER (Contrat de Projet Etat Region) Vallée du Libre (France); and the Centro de Estudios Interdisciplinarios Básicos y Aplicados en Complejidad (CEIBA, Colombia). This support is gratefully acknowledged. The authors would also like to thank Olivier Péton from the Ecole des Mines de Nantes and the anonymous reviewers for their insightful comments and suggestions.
- 7.Kovacs, A., Parragh, S., Doerner, K., Hartl, R.: Adaptive large neighborhood search for service technician routing and scheduling problems. J. Sched. :1–22 (2011). doi: 10.1007/s10951-011-0246-9
- 8.Parragh, S.N.: Solving a real-world service technician routing and scheduling problem. In Proceedings of the Seventh Triennial Symposium on Transportation Analysis (TRISTAN VII) (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Pillac, V., Guéret, C., Medaglia, A.L.: A parallel matheuristic for the technician routing and scheduling problem: supplementary material (online) (2011). http://hdl.handle.net/1992/1145
- 14.Shaw, P.: Using constraint programming and local search methods to solve vehicle routing problems. In: Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming—CP98. Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol. 1520, pp. 417–431 (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Solomon, M.M.: Algorithms for the vehicle-routing and scheduling problems with time window constraints. Operat. Res. 35(2), 254–265 (1987)Google Scholar
- 16.Tang, H., Miller-Hooks, E., Tomastik, R.: Scheduling technicians for planned maintenance of geographically distributed equipment. Transp. Res. Part E: Log. Transp. Rev. 43(5), 591–609 (2007)Google Scholar
- 18.Vidal, T., Crainic, T., Gendreau, M., Prins, C.: A hybrid genetic algorithm with adaptive diversity management for a large class of vehicle routing problems with time windows. Comput. Operat. Res. 40(1), 475–489 (2013)Google Scholar
- 19.Villegas, J.G.: Vehicle routing problems with trailers. 4OR: Q. J. Operat. Res. (2012). doi: 10.1007/s10288-011-0186-4