A measure of staying power: Is the persistence of emergent concepts more significantly influenced by technical domain or scale?
This study advances a four-part indicator for technical emergence. While doing so it focuses on a particular class of emergent concepts—those which display the ability to repeatedly maintain an emergent status over multiple time periods. The authors refer to this quality as staying power and argue that those concepts which maintain this ability are deserving of greater attention. The case study we consider consists of 15 subdatatsets within the dye-sensitized solar cell framework. In this study the authors consider the impact technical domain and scale have on the behavior of persistently emergent concepts and test which of these has a greater influence.
KeywordsTechnical emergence Technology space Staying power
- Alexander, J., Murdick, D., Babko-Malaya, O., & Boyack, K. (2013). Detecting and evaluating the emergence of science and technology: Activities in foresight and understanding from scientific exposition. In Global Tech mining conference, Atlanta.Google Scholar
- Carley, S., Newman, N. C., Porter, A. L., & Garner, J. (2017). A four part indicator for technical emergence. Manuscript submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- Foresight and Understanding from Scientific Exposition (FUSE). (2014). http://www.iarpa.gov/index.php/research-programs/fuse. Accessed 14 Sept 2016.
- Foresight and Understanding from Scientific Exposition (FUSE). (2014). http://www.iarpa.gov/index.php/research-programs/fuse. Accessed 29 Dec 2016.
- O’Brien, J. J., Carley, S., & Porter, A. L. (2013). ClusterSuite [computer software], Atlanta, GA (available via http://www.VPInstute.org).
- Stahl, B. C. (2011). What does the future hold? A critical view on emerging information and communication technologies and their social consequences. In M. Chiasson, O. Henfridsson, H. Karsten & J. I. DeGross (Eds.), Proceedings Researching the Future in Information Systems: IFIP WG 8.2 Working Conference, Future IS 2011. Turku, Finland, June 6–8, 2011 (pp. 59–76). Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- VantagePoint. (2012). Search technology. Retrieved September 15, 2016, from www.thevantagepoint.com.