Determinants of Internet Poker Adoption
- 479 Downloads
In nearly all jurisdictions, adoption of a new form of gambling has been a controversial and contentious subject. Online gambling has been no different, though there are many aspects that affect online gambling that do not appear in the brick and mortar environment. This study seeks to identify whether demographic, economic, political, technological, and/or sociological determinants contribute to online poker gambling adoption. A theoretical discussion of these categories’ importance to online poker is provided and exploratory empirical analysis is used to examine their potential validity. The analysis revealed support for all of the proposed categories of variables thought to be predictive of online gambling legality.
KeywordsInternet gambling Online poker Gambling policy Gaming determinants
- Abarbanel, B. L. (2012). Cultural indicators of internet sports betting policy. UNLV Gaming Research & Review Journal, 16(1), 77–85.Google Scholar
- Balestra, M., & Krafcik, C. A. (Eds.). (2010). Casino city’s internet gambling report (11th ed.). Newton, MA: Casino City Press.Google Scholar
- Belanger, Y. (Ed.). (2011). First nations gaming in Canada. Winnipeg, MB: University of Manitoba Press.Google Scholar
- Bernhard, B. J., & Abarbanel, B. L. L. (2011). GlobalScan: Problem gambling around the world from Alderney to Zurich. Las Vegas, NV: International Gaming Institute.Google Scholar
- Bianchi, E. (2011, September 15). Ecuador begins casino shutdown. CalvinAyre.com. http://calvinayre.com/2011/09/15/casino/ecuador-begins-casino-shutdown/.
- Cabot, A., Balestra, M., & Krafcik, C. (Eds.). (2011). Casino city’s internet gambling report (11th ed.). Newton, MA: Casino City Press.Google Scholar
- Casino City, Inc. (2010). Online gaming jurisdictions. http://online.casinocity.com/jurisdictions/.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2010). The world factbook. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/.
- Coughlin, C. C., Garrett, T. A., & Hernandez-Murillo, R. (2006). The geography, economics, and politics of lottery adoption. Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review, 88(May/June), 165–180.Google Scholar
- Fiedler, I., & Wilcke, A. (2012). The market for online poker. UNLV Gaming Research & Review Journal, 16(1), 7–20.Google Scholar
- Gainsbury, S. (2010). Is legalized online gambling in North America inevitable? An Australian perspective. Presented at the Discovery 2010 Conference, Toronto.Google Scholar
- GamingZion. (2011). GamingZion: Find your game. http://www.gamingzion.com/.
- Greene, W. H. (2003). Econometric analysis (5th ed.). New Jersey: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Grohman, C. (2006). Reconsidering regulation: A historical view of the legality of internet poker and discussion of the internet gambling ban of 2006. Journal of Legal Technology Risk Management, 1(Fall), 34–74.Google Scholar
- Hofstede, G. (1998). Masculinity and femininity: The taboo dimension of national cultures. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.Google Scholar
- Hofstede, G. (2009). Geert Hofstede cultural dimensions [data file]. http://www.geert-hofstede.com/hofstede_dimensions.php.
- Interactive Media Entertainment and Gaming Association, Inc. (iMEGA) v. Attorney General of the United States. (2009). Federal trade commission; Federal reserve system, Case No. 08-1981F.3d 6.Google Scholar
- International Monetary Fund. (2011). World economic outlook database September 2011 [data file]. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2011/02/weodata/index.aspx.
- International Telecommunication Union. (2012). World telecommunication development report and database [data file]. http://databank.worldbank.org/ddp/home.do?Step=12&id=4&CNO=2.
- Kaufmann, D., Kraay, A., & Mastruzzi, M. (2010). The worldwide governance indicators: Methodology and analytical issues. http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Files/rc/reports/2010/09_wgi_kaufmann/09_wgi_kaufmann.pdf.
- Kaufmann, D., Kraay, A., & Mastruzzi, M. (2011). The worldwide governance indicators, 2011 update [data file]. http://info.worldbank.org/governance/wgi/pdf/wgidataset.xls.
- OΠAΠ. (2011). Stoixima. http://www.opap.gr/en/web/guest/demo#-1,t-175.
- Policy Department European Economic and Scientific Policy. European Parliament. (2008). Online gambling: Focusing on integrity and a code of conduct for gambling. Publication no. PE 408.575. Bruxelles, BE.Google Scholar
- RecentPoker. (2009, May 5). Vietnam online gambling investigation. RecentPoker.com. http://www.recentpoker.com/news/vietnam-gambling-2147.html.
- Rohan, B., & Scuffham, M. (2011, September 14). Northern German state opens up to online gambling. Thompson Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/14/germany-gambling-idUSL5E7KE46320110914.
- Romney, J. (1995, October 16). Tiny Liechtenstein offers first-ever internet lottery. The News and Observer Publishing Co. http://technoculture.mira.net.au/hypermail/0018.html.
- Rose, I. N., & Owens, M. D, Jr. (2009). Internet gaming law: Second edition, revised and expanded (2nd ed.). New Rochelle, NY: Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.Google Scholar
- Schwartz, D. G. (2006). Roll the bones: The history of gambling. New York: Gotham Books.Google Scholar
- Security and Accountability for Every Port Act. (2006). H.R. 4954, 109th Sess.Google Scholar
- Sieroty, C. (2011, May 17). Panel says critical mass matters for online poker. Las Vegas Business Press. http://www.lvbusinesspress.com/articles/2011/05/17/news/iq_44167905.txt.
- Smith, J. (1998). Gambling taxation in Australia. Australia: The Australia Institute.Google Scholar
- StataCorp, L. P. (2009). Stata user’s guide: Release 11. College Station: Stata Press.Google Scholar
- Stewart, D. O. (2011). Online gambling five years after UIGEA. Washington, D.C.: American Gaming Association.Google Scholar
- Tanzania Gaming Act. (2003). Ch. 41, sec. III-13, p. 10.Google Scholar
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics. (2012). Data centre [data file]. http://data.un.org/.
- United Kingdom Gambling Commission. (2010). Survey data on gambling participation, October 2010. Birmingham, UK: Author.Google Scholar
- United Kingdom Gambling Commission. (2011). British Gambling Prevalence Survey 2010. Norwich, UK: Author.Google Scholar
- Wéry, E. (2010). Online gambling payment restrictions: A worldwide overview of (some) regulations. Presented at the iGaming Asia Conference, Macau, China.Google Scholar
- Wiebe, J., & Lipton, M. D. (2008). An overview of internet gambling regulations. Guelph, Ontario: Ontario Problem Gambling Research Centre.Google Scholar
- Williams, R. J., & Wood, R. T. (2007). Internet gambling: A comprehensive review and synthesis of the literature. Guelph, Ontario: Ontario Problem Gambling Research Centre.Google Scholar
- Williams, R., & Wood, R. (2009). Internet gambling: Setting the stage. Presented at the Alberta Gaming Research Institute’s 8th Annual Conference, Banff, Alberta, Canada.Google Scholar
- Wire, B. (2005). Intertops.com celebrates 10 years online sports betting. December 16. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2005_Dec_16/ai_n15949966.
- Wood, R. T., & Williams, R. J. (2012). The Casino city study: A large-scale international study of online gamblers. In R. J. Williams, R. T. Wood, & J. Parke (Eds.), Routledge international handbook of internet gambling (pp. 103–125). New York, NY: Taylor & Francis Group.Google Scholar