Profile Detection in Medical and Astronomical Images by Means of the Hough Transform of Special Classes of Curves
- 408 Downloads
We develop a formal procedure for the automated recognition of rational and elliptic curves in medical and astronomical images. The procedure is based on the extension of the Hough transform concept to the definition of Hough transform of special classes of algebraic curves. We first introduce a catalogue of curves that satisfy the conditions to be automatically extracted from an image and the recognition algorithm, then we illustrate the power of this method to identify skeleton profiles in clinical X-ray tomography maps and front ends of solar eruptions in astronomical images provided by the NASA solar dynamics observatory satellite.
KeywordsHough transform Pattern recognition Image processing Algebraic plane curve Curve detection
This work would have been impossible without the major contribution from our colleague Michele Piana. We also wish to thank our students Chiara Della Corte and Giorgio Ricca for their contributions at different stages of this project. Special thanks to the anonymous reviewers for their valuable comments and suggestions to improve the quality of the paper. This work was supported by the European Community Framework Programme 7, High Energy Solar Physics Data in Europe (HESPE), Grant Agreement No. 263086, and by the PO CRO FSE 2007-2013 Asse IV.
- 4.Beltrametti M.C., Carletti E., Gallarati D., Monti Bragadin G.: Lectures on curves, surfaces and projective varieties–a classical view of algebraic geometry. Textbooks in Mathematics, vol. 9. European Mathematical Society, Zurich. Translated by F. Sullivan (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Godement, R.: Cours d’algèbre. Enseignements de Sciences. Hermann, Paris (1966)Google Scholar
- 13.Hough P.V.C.: Method and means for recognizing complex patterns. U.S. Patent 3069654 (1962)Google Scholar
- 14.http://www.mathworks.com/help/curvefit/cftool.html. Accessed 27 March 2014
- 15.Lemen, J.R., et al.: The atmospheric imaging assembly (AIA) on the solar dynamics observatory (SDO). Solar Phys. 275, 17–40 (2012) Google Scholar
- 16.Liu, W., Chen, Q., Petrosian, V.: Plasmoid ejections and loop contractions in an eruptive M7.7 solar flare: evidence of particle acceleration and heating in magnetic reconnection outflows. ApJ 767, 168 (2013)Google Scholar
- 20.Robbiano L.: Parametrizations, hyperplane sections, Hough transforms. arXiv:1305.0478 (2013)