Influence of additives fluoride and phosphate on the electrochemical performance of Mg–MnO2 battery
Magnesium (Mg) is a promising anode material for primary Mg batteries because of its outstanding characteristics, such as abundance, light weight, and low cost. However, self-corrosion and delayed action of Mg alloy in aqueous solution limit its performance and reduce the energy density. In this work, the influence of NaF–Na3PO4 on electrochemical behaviors of Mg alloy in composite solution is studied by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, galvanostatic discharge, and linear sweep voltammetry. The morphology and microstructure are analyzed by scanning electron microscopy and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. Impedance studies show that NaF and Na3PO4 are good inhibitors with the inhibition efficiency reaches 98.8%. Moreover, the delayed time is reduced to 0.08 s, despite that soaking time length is extended to 16 days. A Mg–MnO2 cell demonstrates an excellent discharge capacity of 1539 mAh g−1 at the discharge current density of 5 mA cm−2.
KeywordsMg–MnO2 battery Electrolyte additives Inhibition efficiency Delayed action Specific capacity
This work was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 21273292).
- 2.Narthana K, kumar RN, Saminathan K, Siva P, Selvam M, Saha P (2016) Enhancement of discharge capacity of Mg/MnO2 primary cell with nano-MnO2-graphene as cathode. Int J Res Adv Eng 2(5):1–19Google Scholar
- 6.Gofer Y, Pour N, Aurbach D (2013) Electrolytic solutions for rechargeable magnesium batteries. Lithium batteries: advanced technologies and applications. Wiley, Weinheim, pp 328–345Google Scholar
- 16.Chen L, Chen CG, Guo CZ (2014) Research progress of voltage delay in magnesium battery. J Mater Chem 59(17):1936–1941Google Scholar
- 18.Shi YG, Zhang Y, Hu SF, Chen QR (2012) Electrochemical behavior of AZ31 alloy as anode material for magnesium battery. Corros Prot 33:1051–1054Google Scholar
- 22.Mu WY, Li ZX, Du JH (2011) Development and application of magnesium batteries. Mater Rev 25:35–39Google Scholar
- 23.Chen CG, Chen H, Liu YP (2011) Electrochemical behavior of composite Mg-Zn anode. Chin J Power Sour 35:63–65 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 32.Qiang YJ, Zhang ST, Guo L, Zheng XW, Xiang B, Chen SJ (2017) Experimental and theoretical studies of four allyl imidazolium-based ionic liquids as green inhibitors for copper corrosion in sulfuric acid. Corros Sci. doi: 10.1016/j.corsci.2017.02.021