Water quality variation during a strong El Niño event in 2016: a case study in Kampar River, Malaysia
- 103 Downloads
El Niño and Southern Oscillation (ENSO) is a natural forcing that affects global climate patterns, thereon influencing freshwater quality and security. In the advent of a strong El Niño warming event in 2016 which induced an extreme dry weather in Malaysia, water quality variation was investigated in Kampar River which supplies potable water to a population of 92,850. Sampling points were stratified into four ecohydrological units and 144 water samples were examined from October 2015 to March 2017. The Malaysian Water Quality Index (WQI) and some supplementary parameters were analysed in the context of reduced precipitation. Data shows that prolonged dry weather, episodic and sporadic pollution incidents have caused some anomalies in dissolved oxygen (DO), total suspended solids (TSS), turbidity and ammoniacal nitrogen (AN) values recorded and the possible factors are discussed. The month of March and August 2016 recorded the lowest precipitation, but the overall resultant WQI remained acceptable. Since the occurrence of a strong El Niño event is infrequent and far between in decadal time scale, this paper gives some rare insights that may be central to monitoring and managing freshwater resource that has a crucial impact to the mass population in the region of Southeast Asia.
KeywordsDrought El Niño Pollution Water quality
We are grateful to Samberan bin Bah Pasu of Ulu Kampar village who assisted in the study. We are also thankful to anonymous reviewers who have provided valuable comments. This manuscript would not be possible without their contributions.
- Chen, W., He, B., Nover, D., Duan, W., Luo, C., Zhao, K., & Chen, W. (2018). Spatiotemporal patterns and source attribution of nitrogen pollution in a typical headwater agricultural watershed in Southeastern China. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 25, 2756–2773. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-017-0685-8.
- Chan, N. W., & Ghani, A. A. (2016). Addressing water resources shortfalls due to climate change in Penang, Malaysia, In: Water security and climate change: challenges and opportunities in Asia, 29 November–01 December 2016. Bangkok: Asian Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Degefu, M. A., & Bewket, W. (2017). Variability, trends, and teleconnections of stream flows with large-scale climate signals in the Omo-Ghibe River Basin, Ethiopia. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 189, 142. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-017-5862-1.
- Department of Environment (DOE). (2008). Malaysia environmental quality report (2008). Kuala Lumpur: Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment Malaysia.Google Scholar
- Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID). (2009). Study on the river water quality trends and indexes in Peninsular Malaysia: Water Resources Publication No. 21, http://irep.iium.edu.my/30722/1/WRP_21_Water_Quality_Trend_and_Index.pdf. Accessed 23 June 2017.
- Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID). (2017). Perak: online river level data, http://infobanjir.water.gov.my/waterlevel_page.cfm?state=PRK. Accessed 11 May 2017.
- Economic Planning Unit (EPU). (2000). National Water Resources Study 2000–2050. Kuala Lumpur: Department of Prime Minister’s Office.Google Scholar
- Elosegi, A., & Pozo, J. (2016). Altered organic matter dynamics in rivers and streams: ecological consequences and management implications. Limnetica, 35(2), 303–322.Google Scholar
- Górski, J., Dragon, K., & Kaczmarek, P. M. J. (2017). Nitrate pollution in the Warta River (Poland) between 1958 and 2016: trends and causes. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-017-9798-3.
- Harun, S., Abdullah, M. H., Mohamed, M., Fikri, A. H., & Jimmy, E. O. (2010). Water quality study of four streams within Maliau Basin Conservation Area, Sabah, Malaysia. Journal of Tropical Biology and Conservation, 6, 109–113.Google Scholar
- Jiménez-Muñoz, J. C., Mattar, C., Barichivich, J., Santamaría-Artigas, A., Takahashi, K., Malhi, Y., Sobrino, J. A., & Schrier, G. . . (2016). Record-breaking warming and extreme drought in the Amazon rainforest during the course of El Niño 2015–2016. Scientific Reports, 6, 33130.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kennard, M. J., Mackay, S. J., Pusey, B. J., Olden, J. D., & Marsh, N. (2010). Quantifying uncertainty in estimation of hydrologic metrics for ecohydrological studies. River Research and Applications, 26(2), 137–156.Google Scholar
- Lakani, F. B., Sattari, M., Sharifpour, I., & Kazemi, R. (2013). Effect of hypoxia, normoxia and hyperoxia conditions on gill histopathology in two weight groups of beluga (Huso huso). Caspian Journal of Environmental Sciences, 11(1), 77–84.Google Scholar
- Li, Z., Liu, H., Luo, C., Li, Y., Li, H., Pan, J., Jiang, X., Zhou, Q., & Xiong, Z. (2015). Simulation of runoff and nutrient export from a typical small watershed in China using the Hydrological Simulation Program-Fortran. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 22(10), 7954–7966.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Meteorological Department Malaysia. (2017). Monthly weather bulletin. http://www.met.gov.my/web/metmalaysia/publications/bulletinpreview/monthlyweather?p_p_id=122_INSTANCE_phshFS8dJslQ&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=_118_INSTANCE_F96odbUpU62g__column-2&p_p_col_count=1&p_r_p_564233524_categoryId=. Accessed 13 May 2017.
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MNRE). (2009). Study on the river water quality trends and indexes in peninsular Malaysia: Water Resources Publication No. 21 [Online]. Available at: http://irep.iium.edu.my/30722/1/WRP_21_Water_Quality_Trend_and_Index.pdf [Accessed: 05 July 2015].
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MNRE). (2011). The review of national water resource study (2000–2050) and formulation of national water resources policy: final report. http://www.water.gov.my/images/Hidrologi/NationalWaterResourcesStudy/Vol13Perak.pdf. Accessed 09 April 2017.
- Mosley, L., Barnett, L., Leyden, E., Fradley, K., Iacopetta, J., Jolley, A. M., Peter, M., Natt, A., Palmer, D., Scott, P., Spencer, J., Stone, D., & Zammit, B. (2013). Water quality in the lower lakes during a hydrological drought: water quality monitoring report. Water and Natural Resources, Adelaide: Department for Environment.Google Scholar
- Natural Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, US (NOAA). (2017). Historical El Niño/La Nina episodes. http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- Rembold, F., Leo, O., Nègre, T., & Hubbard, N. (2015). The 2015-2016 El Niño event: expected impact on food security and main response scenarios in East and Southern Africa. European Union, EUR 27653, http://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/bitstream/JRC98751/lb-na-27653-en-n.pdf. Accessed 03 August 2016.
- Rojas, O., Li, Y., & Cumani, R. (2014). Understanding the drought impact of El Niño on the global agricultural areas: an assessment using FAO’s agricultural stress index (ASI). Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.Google Scholar
- Wang, C., Deser, C., Yu, J. Y., DiNezio, P., & Clement, A. (2017). El Niño and Southern Oscillation (ENSO): a review, In: Coral reefs of the Eastern Tropical Pacific, Coral Reefs of the World 8. New York: Springer Science Publisher.Google Scholar
- Wittig, R., König, K., Schmidt, M., & Szarzynski., J (2007). A study of climate change and anthropogenic impacts in West Africa. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 14(3), 182–189.Google Scholar
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO). (2014). El Niño Southern Oscillation. Geneva, Switzerland, http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/wcp/wcasp/documents/JN142122_WMO1145_EN_web.pdf. Accessed 10 August 2015.
- Zainudin, Z. (2008). The many intricacies of biochemical oxygen demand, In: Jurutera monthly bulletin. Kuala Lumpur: Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM).Google Scholar