Ex-Post Evaluation of Competition Law Enforcement Effects in the German Packaging Waste Compliance Scheme Market
We provide an ex-post evaluation of the impact of competition law enforcement activities in the German packaging waste compliance scheme market. Until 2003, the non-profit compliance scheme DSD enjoyed a monopoly in the market. Numerous antitrust cases, however, paved the way for competitive market structures. We show that these enforcement activities resulted in a series of market entries since 2004, a corresponding drop in DSD’s market share, increased innovation and substantial efficiencies. Furthermore, we apply a difference-in-differences approach to show that prices decreased by 63% and to estimate the aggregated consumer welfare gains achieved by 2011 at a total of €13 billion. In the given case imposing a non-profit obligation on the monopolist did not substitute for the efficiency-enhancing effects of competition.
KeywordsEx post evaluation Competition law enforcement Compliance scheme Packaging waste Non-profit company De-monopolization Consumer welfare effects
JEL ClassificationD4 L4 L43 L9
- Bundeskartellamt. (2011). Case summary coordination of tenders for sales packaging waste collection services by compliance schemes, case no. B4-152/07. www.bundeskartellamt.de.
- Bundeskartellamt. (2012). Final report of the sector inquiry into compliance schemes (in German), case no. B4-62/12. www.bundeskartellamt.de.
- European Commission. (2014). Ex-post economic evaluation of competition policy enforcement: A review of the literature. http://ec.europa.eu/competition/publications/reports/expost_evaluation_competition_policy_en.pdf.
- European Commission. (2001a). Decision 2001/837/EG. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/DE/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32001D0837.
- European commission. (2001b). Decision 2001/463/EG. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/DE/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32001D0463&from=DA.
- Monier et al. (2014). Development of guidance on extended producer responsibility, report by deloitte bio intelligence service, commissioned by the european commission. http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/pdf/target_review/Guidance%20on%20EPR%20-%20Final%20Report.pdf
- OECD. (2016). Reference guide on ex-post evaluation of competition agencies’ enforcement decisions. http://www.oecd.org/daf/competition/Ref-guide-expost-evaluation-2016web.pdf.
- OECD. (2014). Guide for assessing the impact of competition authorities’ activities. http://www.oecd.org/daf/competition/Guide-competition-impact-assessmentEN.pdf.
- OECD. (2014). Factsheet on how competition policy affects macro-economic outcomes. http://www.oecd.org/daf/competition/2014-competition-factsheet-iv-en.pdf.