Discovery of the Roosevelt’s Barking Deer (Muntiacus rooseveltorum) in Vietnam
- 285 Downloads
Distribution and taxonomic status of the Roosevelt’s Barking Deer (Muntiacus rooseveltorum) have remained poorly understood after more than 80 years since its description. All records of this species so far have been reported only from Lao PDR. During recent surveys in central Vietnam, we found several specimens from local hunting trophies morphologically resembling this species. Our molecular data, including both mitochondrial and nuclear genes, based on collected materials confirm for the first time that M. rooseveltorum is distributed in Vietnam. In addition, the phylogenetic analyses demonstrate that the Roosevelt’s Barking Deer represents a distinct evolutionary lineage closely related to the Truong Son Muntjac, in central Vietnam, and the Leaf Muntjac in Myanmar. Given the rarity of this species and the escalating hunting and habitat loss in the region, it is important to conduct field research to assess its population status. Such information is critically needed to design a conservation plan for this highly elusive and threatened taxon.
KeywordsMuntjac Muntiacus rooseveltorum ND4 Cytochrome b G-fibrinogen Conservation
The Nagao Natural Environment Foundation, Japan, the SeaWorld and Busch Gardens Conservation Fund, Vietnam National University, and the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation generously provided funding for this project. Eleanor Sterling and Martha Hurley supported the early field work. M. Le was supported by the National Foundation for Science and Technology Development of Vietnam (NAFOSTED: Grant No. 106.15-2010.30). Comments from the associate editor and two anonymous reviewers helped improve the paper.
- Hall TA (1999) BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp 41:95–98Google Scholar
- Hassanin A, Delsuc F, Ropiquet A, Hammer C, Jansen van Vuuren B, Matthee C, Ruiz-Garcia M, Catzeflis F, Areskoug V, Nguyen TT, Couloux A (2012) Pattern and timing of diversification of Cetartiodactyla (Mammalia, Laurasiatheria), as revealed by a comprehensive analysis of mitochondrial genomes. C R Biol 335:32–50PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Le TT, Le CV, Bui TD, Tran MH, Tran NQ, Nguyen SV, Monastyrskii AL, Eames JC (1999) A feasibility study for the establishment of Xuan Lien Nature Reserve, Thanh Hoa Province. Birdlife International Vietnam Programme, HanoiGoogle Scholar
- Osborn T, Fanning E, Grindley M (2000) Pu Hoat proposed nature reserve: biodiversity survey and conservation evaluation. Society for Environmental Education, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Osgood W (1932) Mammals of the Kelley-Roosevelts and Delacour Asiatic expeditions. Field Museum of Natural History Publications 312. Zoological Series 18:192–339Google Scholar
- Palumbi SR, Martin AP, Romano S, McMillan WO, Stice L, Grabowski G (1991) The simple fools guide to PCR, version 2.0. Privately publishedGoogle Scholar
- Swofford DL (2001) PAUP*. Phylogenetic Analysis Using Parsimony (*and other methods), version 4. Sinauer Associates, MassachusettsGoogle Scholar
- Timmins RJ, Duckworth JW, Long B (2008) Muntiacus rooseveltorum. In: IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2012.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Accessed 10 Sep 2013