Estimating the Cost of Justice for Adjuncts: A Case Study in University Business Ethics
American universities rely upon a large workforce of adjunct faculty—contract workers who receive low pay, no benefits, and no job security. Many news sources, magazines, and activists claim that adjuncts are exploited and should receive better pay and treatment. This paper never affirms nor denies that adjuncts are exploited. Instead, we show that any attempt to provide a significantly better deal faces unpleasant constraints and trade-offs. “Adjunct justice” would cost universities somewhere between an additional $15–50 billion per year. At most, universities can provide justice for a minority of adjuncts at the expense of the majority, as well as at the expense of poor students. Universities may indeed be exploiting adjuncts, but they cannot rectify this mistake without significant moral costs.
KeywordsExploitation Budget constraints Opportunity costs Academic ethics Adjuncts’ rights Higher education
- Ado, K. (2015). Hunger Strike Planned at SLU as Adjunct Professors Push for Higher Wages, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Sep. 9. http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/hunger-strike-planned-at-slu-as-adjunct-professors-push-for/article_90d7228e-0711-584e-baa1-bd20a6e80f73.html
- American Association of University Professors. (2006). Contingent Faculty Index, 2006, Table 2. http://www.aaup.org/aaup-contingent-faculty-index-2006.
- Appiah, KA. (2015). What’s the Point of College? New York Times Magazine, Sep 8. URL: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/magazine/what-is-the-point-of-college.html?_r=0.
- Baumol, W., & Bowen, W. (1966). Performing arts, the economic dilemma: A study of problems common to theater, opera, music, and dance. New York: Twentieth Century Fund.Google Scholar
- Bettinger, E, & Long, BT. (2005). Help or hinder? Adjunct professors and student outcomes. The Research and planning group for California Community Colleges. http://rpgroup.org/resources/help-or-hinder-adjunct-professors-and-student-outcomes.
- Cholo, AB. (2015). Are Adjunct Professors the New Fast Food Workers?, Pacific Standard, Feb. 26. http://www.psmag.com/business-economics/are-adjunct-professors-the-new-fast-food-workers
- Christensen, C. (2008). The employment of part-time faculty at community colleges. No: New Directions for Higher Education. 143.Google Scholar
- Coalition on the Academic Workforce. (2012). A Portrait of Part-time Faculty Members”. http://www.academicworkforce.org/CAW_portrait_2012.pdf
- Council on Graduate Schools. (2013). Graduate Enrollment and Degrees, 2002–2012, September 2013. http://cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/GEDReport_2012.pdf.
- Ehrenberg, R. G. (2005). What’s Happening to public higher education. Boulder: Rowman and Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Figlio, DN., Schapiro, MO., & Soter, KB. 2013. “Are Tenure Track Professors Better Teachers?” NBER Working Paper Series No.19406.Google Scholar
- Flaherty, C. (2015a). 15,000 per Course?, Inside Higher Ed, Feb 12. http://www.slate.com/articles/life/inside_higher_ed/2015/02/_15_000_per_course_the_seiu_s_faculty_forward_sets_a_goal_for_adjunct_professor.html
- Flaherty, C. (2015b). Modest Gains in Faculty Pay, Inside Higher Ed, April 13, 2015. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/04/13/aaup-full-time-faculty-salaries-22-percent-year
- Flaherty, C. (2015c). Fight for 15 K, Inside Higher Ed, April 16. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/04/16/adjuncts-participate-national-day-action-living-wage
- Flaherty, C. (2015d). Developing Adjuncts, Inside Higher Ed, August 27. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/08/27/non-tenure-track-faculty-members-say-they-want-more-professional-development
- Flaherty, C., & Mulhere, K. (2015). Day of Protest, Inside Higher Ed, Feb 26. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/02/26/adjuncts-deem-national-walkout-day-success
- Frank, R. H. (1984). Are Workers paid their marginal products? American Economic Review, 74, 549–571.Google Scholar
- Fruscione, J. When a college contracts adjunctivitis, it’s the students who lose. PBS.org, July 25, 2014. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/when-a-college-contracts-adjunctivitis-its-the-students-who-lose/
- Fullerton, D., & Metcalf, G. E. (2014). Tax Incidence. In A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (Eds.), The Handbook of Public Economics (pp. 1787–1872). Oxford: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Ginsberg, B. (2013). The Fall of the Faculty. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Isen, A. (2015). Dying to Know: Are Workers Paid their Marginal Products?, working paper, Wharton School of Business.Google Scholar
- Kendzior, S. (2013). Academia’s Indentured Servants, Al Jazeera April 11. http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/04/20134119156459616.html
- Krugman, P., & Wells, R. (2012). Microeconomics (3rd ed.). New York: Worth Publishers.Google Scholar
- Lewin, T. (2013). Gap Widens for Faculty at Colleges, Report, Finds, New York Times April 8. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/education/gap-in-university-faculty-pay-continues-to-grow-report-finds.html?_r=2
- Mankiw, N. G. (2014). Principles of Economics (7th ed.). New York: Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- McKenna, L. (2015). The College President to Adjunct Pay Ratio, The Atlantic Sep 24. http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/09/income-inequality-in-higher-education-the-college-president-to-adjunct-pay-ratio/407029/
- New Faculty Majority. (2015). NFM’s 7 Goals. http://www.newfacultymajority.info/nfms-7-goals/
- Ott, M., & Cisneros, J. (2015). Understanding the changing faculty workforce in higher education: A comparison of non-tenure track and tenure line experiences. Education Policy Analysis Archives, 23–90, 1–28.Google Scholar
- Quart, A. (2015). The Professor Charity Case, Pacific Standard, March 19. http://www.psmag.com/books-and-culture/professor-charity-case-adjuncts-precaricorps
- Sacaro, M. (2014). Professors on Food Stamps: The Shocking True Story of Academia in 2014, Salon, Sep. 21. http://www.salon.com/2014/09/21/professors_on_food_stamps_the_shocking_true_story_of_academia_in_2014/
- Sanchez, C. (2014). Part Time Professors Demand Higher Pay; Will Colleges Listen?, NPR, February 3. http://www.npr.org/2014/02/03/268427156/part-time-professors-demand-higher-pay-will-colleges-listen.
- Schell, E. (2004). Gypsy Academics and Mother Teachers. New York: Heinemman.Google Scholar
- Turner, L. (2014). The road to pell is paved with good intentions: The economic incidence of federal student grant aid, University of Maryland, Department of Economics, College Park, MD, working paper.Google Scholar
- U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Statistics. (2013). Digest of Education Statistics, Table 310.5. https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d14/tables/dt14_315.10.asp
- Weiss, MD. (2015). Student Loan Debt: America’s Next Big Crisis, USA Today, August 23. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2015/08/23/credit-dotcom-student-loan-crisis/32015421/