The Impact of Aortic Valve Replacement on Left Ventricular Remodeling in Children
- 339 Downloads
There are scant data in pediatrics on the optimal timing for aortic valve repair (AVR). This study assesses the midterm response to AVR and possible predictors of poor outcome. From 2001 to 2006, 41 patients had greater than 3-month follow-up after AVR for aortic insufficiency, aortic stenosis, or both. Pre-, peri-, and post-operative data were collected, including demographics and clinical symptoms. Two reviewers measured echocardiographic parameters from the pre-operative and latest follow-up echocardiograms. Ventricular dimensions were indexed to body surface area (z-score). Median age at AVR was 13 years with 83 % having a Ross operation. The average left ventricular end-diastolic dimension pre-op, z-score of +1.3, significantly decreased at last follow-up to a mean z-score of −0.1 (p < 0.001). Similarly the indexed LV mass decreased from +3.9 to +0.5 (p < 0.001). There was no significant correlation between the presence of pre-op symptoms and the presence of post-op LV dilatation, hypertrophy, or dysfunction. In the subset of patients (7/41) with persistent LV dysfunction at last follow-up, there was a significant correlation with pre-op LV dilatation as assessed by both LVEDD (p = 0.02) and LVESD (p = 0.05). Children demonstrate significant reverse remodeling after AVR. Pre-op LV dilatation may predict patients with persistent LV dysfunction post-AVR. Symptoms are less useful in children, suggesting the need for more objective data for functional assessment.
KeywordsAortic valve replacement Aortic insufficiency Aortic stenosis Ventricular remodeling Pediatrics
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.Bonow RO, Carabello BA, Chatterjee K, de Leon AC, Jr., Faxon DP, Freed MD, Gaasch WH, Lytle BW, Nishimura RA, O’Gara PT, O’Rourke RA, Otto CM, Shah PM, Shanewise JS, Smith SC, Jr., Jacobs AK, Adams CD, Anderson JL, Antman EM, Fuster V, Halperin JL, Hiratzka LF, Hunt SA, Nishimura R, Page RL, Riegel B (2006) ACC/AHA 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (writing Committee to Revise the 1998 guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease) developed in collaboration with the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists endorsed by the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons. J Am Coll Cardiol 48:e1–e148Google Scholar
- 5.Bonow RO, Carabello BA, Chatterjee K, de Leon AC, Jr., Faxon DP, Freed MD, Gaasch WH, Lytle BW, Nishimura RA, O’Gara PT, O’Rourke RA, Otto CM, Shah PM, Shanewise JS (2008) 2008 focused update incorporated into the ACC/AHA 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to revise the 1998 guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease). Endorsed by the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, and Society of Thoracic Surgeons. J Am Coll Cardiol 52:e1–e142Google Scholar
- 6.Borer JS, Hochreiter C, Herrold EM, Supino P, Aschermann M, Wencker D, Devereux RB, Roman MJ, Szulc M, Kligfield P, Isom OW (1998) Prediction of indications for valve replacement among asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic patients with chronic aortic regurgitation and normal left ventricular performance. Circulation 97:525–534CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 8.Zoghbi WA, Enriquez-Sarano M, Foster E, Grayburn PA, Kraft CD, Levine RA, Nihoyannopoulos P, Otto CM, Quinones MA, Rakowski H, Stewart WJ, Waggoner A, Weissman NJ (2003) Recommendations for evaluation of the severity of native valvular regurgitation with two-dimensional and Doppler echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 16:777–802CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Lieb W, Gona P, Larson MG, Aragam J, Zile MR, Cheng S, Benjamin EJ, Vasan RS (2014) The natural history of left ventricular geometry in the community: clinical correlates and prognostic significance of change in LV geometric pattern. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 7:870–878CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar