Labdane diterpene lactones of Vitex pubescens and their antileukemic properties
Vitex pubescens belonging to the Verbenaceae family, has been historically used as a folk medicine in Indonesia. The dichloromethane extract of V. pubescens stembarks interfered cell proliferation and induced apoptosis in human leukemia HL-60 cells. Our phytochemical investigation resulted in the isolation of several constituents and their chemical structures were determined by spectroscopic analyses. Upon treatment with labdane diterpene lactones, relatively high inhibition of cell proliferation and apoptotic response of the cells were observed. Furthermore, the structure-activity relationship analysis with clerodane diterpenes revealed that a γ-butyrolactone ring contributes their antileukemic potency. Overall, these findings enhanced the ethnopharmacological relevance of V. pubescens for cancer chemotherapy.
KeywordsVitex pubescens Labdane diterpene lactone Andrographolide Antileukemic activity Structure–activity relationship
We would like to thank to Directorate General of Higher Education for the grant through BPPDN scholarship.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- Anwar L, Ibrahim S, Putra DP, Efdi M (2015) LABDANE-type diterpenoid and phenolic from the stem bark of Vitex pubescens Vahl. J Chem Pharm Res 7:290–294Google Scholar
- Alvarez-Segura T, Cabo-Calvet E, Torres-Lapasió JR, García-Álvarez-Coque MC (2015) An approach to evaluate the information in chromatographic fingerprints: application to the optimization of the extraction and conservation conditions of medicinal herbs. J Chromatogr A 1422:178–185CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Meena AK, Niranjan US, Rao MM, Padhi MM, Babu R (2011) A review of the important chemical constituents and medicinal uses of Vitex genus. Asian J Trad Med 6:54–60Google Scholar
- Pandey R, Chandra P, Srivastava M, Mishra DK, Kumar B (2015) Simultaneous quantitative determination of multiple bioactive markers in Ocimum sanctum obtained from different locations and its marketed herbal formulations using UPLC-ESI-MS/MS combined with principal component analysis. Phytochem Anal 26:383–394CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ullah Z, Ullah R, Ali Shah A, Ahmad J, Haider S (2012) Phytochemical and biological evaluation of Vitex negundo Linn.: a review. Int J Pharm Sci Res 3:2421–2431Google Scholar