Prediction of activities of oxygen in dilute quaternary solutions using binary data
Equations are developed for predicting the activity coefficients of oxygen dissolved in ternary liquid alloys. These are extensions of earlier treatments, and are based on a model in which each oxygen atom is assumed to make four bonds with neighboring metal atoms. It is also postulated that the strong oxygen-metal bonds distort the electronic configuration around the metal atoms bonded to oxygen, and that the quantitative reduction of the strength of bonds made by these atoms with all of the adjacent metal atoms is equivalent to a factor of approximately two. The predictions of the quasichemical equation which is derived agree satisfactorily with the partial molar free energies of oxygen in Ag-Cu-Sn solutions at 1200°C reported in literature. An extension of this treatment to multicomponent solutions is also indicated.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.U. Block and H. P. Stuve:Z. Metallk., 1969, vol. 60, p. 709.Google Scholar
- 3.N. J. Olson and G. W. Topp:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1966, vol. 236, p. 590.Google Scholar
- 4.K. T. Jacob and J. H. E. Jeffes:Inst. Mining Met. Trans., London, 1971, vol. 80, p. C32.Google Scholar
- 6.J. D. Bernal:Liquids: Structure, Properties and Solid Interactions, T. J. Hughel, ed., Elsevier, New York, 1965.Google Scholar
- 7.C. Diaz, C. R. Mason, and F. D. Richardson:Inst. Mining Met. Trans., London, 1966, vol. 75, p. C183.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Carbo-Nover: Ph.D. Thesis, University of London, 1969.Google Scholar
- 10.W. A. Fisher and W. Ackermann:Arch. Eisenhüttenw., 1966, vol. 37, p. 697.Google Scholar
- 11.K. T. Jacob, S. K. Seshardri, and F. D. Richardson:Inst. Mining Met. Trans. London, 1970, vol. 79, p. C273.Google Scholar
- 12.R. J. Fruehan and F. D. Richardson:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1969, vol. 245, p. 1721.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Hultgren, R. L. Orr, P. D. Anderson, and Kelley:Selected Values of Thermodynamic Properties of Metals and Alloys, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1963, and Supplements.Google Scholar
- 14.R. Castanet, Y. Claire, M. Gilbert and M. Laffitte:Rev. Int. Hautes Temp. Refract., 1970, vol. 7, p. 51.Google Scholar