Circularly birefringent optical fibres: new proposals
- 39 Downloads
A new family of azimuthally inhomogeneous fibres is proposed and analysed theoretically. In contrast with previous similar structures, in these fibres one can find exact analytical expressions for the guided fields. Such modes could also be used as zeroorder approximations in analysisng other waveguides.
This paper presents the basic theory and several examples illustrating how the main parameters (radii, number and width of the sectors, and refractive indices) affect the field profiles. We also present introductory, qualitative arguments on how this improved control over the field could be exploited in order to get either high circular birefringence or good matching of the guided modes to TEM00 or LP01 exciting fields.
KeywordsField Profile Transverse Field Index Profile Angular Width Angular Sector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. ROMANIUK and J. DOROSZ,Proc. SPIE 403 (1983) 35.Google Scholar
- 3.M. P. VARNHAM, R. D. BIRCH and D. N. PAYNE,Tech. Dig. IOOC-ECOC '85 1 (1985) 135.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. FUJI and C. D. HUSSEY,IEEE Proc. Pt J 133 (1986) 249.Google Scholar
- 6.C. G. SOMEDA, Italian Patents Nos 41584A/85 (26 July 1985) and 41638A/86 (16 December 1986).Google Scholar
- 7.C. G. SOMEDAet al., Part II of this paper, to published.Google Scholar
- 9.R. CASTELLI, Thesis, University of Padova (1986).Google Scholar
- 10.Y. SASAKI,Tech. Dig. OFC-IOOC '87, Paper WP1.Google Scholar