In vitro augmentation of cytotoxicity by N-CWS in peritoneal polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMNs) induced by PSK, OK-432 or N-CWS
- 30 Downloads
Peritoneal polymorponuclear leukocytes (PMNs) were collected from the peritoneal cavity of C3H/He mice 6 hrs after intraperitoneal (i.p.) injection of 2.5 mg/head of PSK, 1 KE (100 µg)/head of OK-432 or 200 µg/head ofNocardia rubra cell wall skeleton (N-CWS). Withoutin vitro stimulation, these PMNs did not show cytotoxicity to syngeneic MM46 mammary carcinoma cells in51Cr release assay. Cytotoxicity of these PMNs was augmented by the addition of 25 µg/ml of N-CWS but not of PSK or OK-432 to cultures for the assay at the beginning of the culture. H2O2 production of PSK-induced PMNs was increased by thein vitro addition of 25 µg/ml of N-CWS but not of PSK. These results suggest that PSK as well as OK-432 and N-CWS can induce PMNs capable of responding further to N-CWS as the second stimulant.
Key wordsN-CWS (Nocardia rubra cell wall skeleton) OK-432 polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMNs) PSK
Nocardia rubra cell wall skeleton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Katano M, Torisu M. New approach to management of malignant ascites with a streptococcal preparation OK-432. II. Intraperitoneal inflammatory cell-mediated tumor cell destruction. Surgery 1983; 365–74.Google Scholar
- 4.Kato H, Yamamura Y, Kin R et al. Treatment of malignant ascites and pleurisy by a streptococcal preparation OK-432 with fresh frozen plasma — A mechanism of polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMN) accumulation. Int J Immunopharmac 1989; 11: 117–28.Google Scholar
- 7.Torisu M, Hayashi T, Yoshida T et al. Neutrophils revisited in tumor immunotherapy. In: Torisu M, Yoshida T, eds. New horizons of tumor immunotherapy. Amsterdam: Excerpta Medica, 1989: 101–14.Google Scholar
- 9.Kondo M, Kato H, Yamamura Y et al. Role of polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMNs) in the treatment of malignant ascites by intraperitoneal injection of biological response modifiers (BRMs). In: Torisu M, Yoshida T, eds. New horizons of tumor immunotherapy. Amsterdam: Excerpta Medica, 1989: 61–78.Google Scholar
- 10.Kato H, Kin R, Yamamura Y et al. Tumor inhibitory effect of polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMN) induced by PSK in the peritoneal cavity of tumor-bearing mice. J Kyoto Pref Univ Med 1987; 96: 927–37.Google Scholar
- 11.Pick E, Keisari Y. A simple colorimetric method for the measurement of hydrogen peroxide produced by cells in culture. J Immunol Meth 1980; 38: 161–70.Google Scholar