Pultrusion mechanics of fiber-reinforced thermoplastic composites
- 157 Downloads
The associated problem of the rheology of a thermoplastic polymer melt during the pultrusion of fiber-reinforced composites in a plane-slotted die is resolved. The permeabilities of a stochastic fibrous system are determined for the case of a nonlinear (exponential) rheological model of the melt. The pressure distribution in the pultrusion tool is calculated with allowance for the permeability of the fibrous system. The dependence of the pultrusion force on the viscous properties of the melt and on the pull rate of the fibrous layer is established.
KeywordsPolymer Permeability Pressure Distribution Rheological Model Thermoplastic Polymer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.É. S. Zelenskii. A. M. Kuperman, and O. V. Lebedeva, “Reinforced plastics based on thermoplastic binders,” Tekhnolog. Ser. Konstr. Kompoz. Mater., No. 1, 10–21 (1991).Google Scholar
- 2.R. Gorthala, J. A. Roux, and J. G. Vaughan, “Rein flow, cure, and heat transfer analysis for pultrusion process,” J. Compos. Mater.,28, No. 6, 486–506 (1994).Google Scholar
- 3.P. Peltonen, K. Lahtienkorva, E. J. Paakkonen, P. K. Jarvala, and P. Tormala, “The influence of melt impregnation parameters on the degree of impregnation of a polypropylene/glass-fibre prepreg,” J. Therm. Compos. Mater.,5, No. 10, 318–343 (1992).Google Scholar
- 4.T. G. Gutowski. Z. Cai. S. Bauer, D. Boucher, J. Kingery, and S. Wineman, “Consolidation experiments for laminate composites,” J. Compos. Mater.,21, No. 7, 650–669 (1987).Google Scholar
- 5.J. W. Seo and W. I. Lee, “A model of the resin impregnation in thermoplastic composites,” J. Compos. Mater.,25, 1127–1142 (1991).Google Scholar
- 6.J. Westhuizen and J. Prier du Plessia, “Quantification of unidirectional fiber bed permeability,” J. Compos. Mater.,28, No. 7, 619–637 (1994).Google Scholar
- 7.E. S. Romm, Structural Models of Pore Space in Rocks [in Russian], Nedra, Leningrad (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.K. Stellbrink. Ueber Relative Bruchwahrscheinlichkeiten Benachbarter Fasern in Belasten Composites, Stuttgart (1977).Google Scholar
- 9.Z. Tadmor and K. Gogos, Theoretical Bases of Polymer Processing [in Russian], Khimiya, Moscow (1984).Google Scholar