Fatigue life-limiting parameters in fibreglass composites
- 89 Downloads
A study was conducted to determine the fatigue life-limiting parameters in E-glass fibre-reinforced vinyl esters. Because of the viscoelastic nature of fibreglass composites and the adiabatic heating during rapid fatigue cycling, the cyclic frequency has a significant effect on the fatigue resistance of the composites. For these same reasons, creep phenomena must also be considered in rationalizing fatigue characteristics of the materials. The surface condition of the composite, stress level, curing condition, and the surface integrity of fibreglass were also found to alter the fatigue behaviour of fibreglass composites.
KeywordsPolymer Ester Fatigue Vinyl Stress Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. C. Kim andL. J. Ebert,J. Composite Mater. 12 (1978) 139.Google Scholar
- 2.W. W. Stinchcomb, K. L. Reifsnider andR. S. Williams,Exp. Mech. 16 (1976) 343.Google Scholar
- 3.J. W. Dally andL. J. Broutman,J. Composite Mater. 1 (1967) 424.Google Scholar
- 4.J. F. Mandell, F. J. McGarry,W. D. Barton andR. P. Demchik, Society of the Plastics Industry 31st Annual Technical Conference (1976) Section 21-B.Google Scholar
- 5.R. L. Tobler andD. T. Read,J. Composite Mater. 10 (1976) 32.Google Scholar
- 6.T. E. Cravens, Society of the Plastics Industry 27th Annual Technical Conference (1972) Section 3-B.Google Scholar
- 7.J. B. Koeneman andT. P. Kicher, ASTM STP497 (1972) p. 503.Google Scholar
- 8.R. J. Charles,J. App. Phys. 29 (1958) 1549.Google Scholar
- 9.J. E. Ritter Jr,ibid. 40 (1969) 340.Google Scholar
- 10.Y. Weitsman,J. Composite Mater. 10 (1976) 193.Google Scholar
- 11.A. G. Evans,Int. J. Fracture 10 (1974) 251.Google Scholar