Some problems in finite dams with an application to insurance risk
- 44 Downloads
This paper considers a finite dam in continuous time fed by inputs, with a negative exponential distribution, whose arrival times form a Poisson process; there is a continuous release at unit rate, and overflow is allowed. Various results have been obtained by appropriate limiting methods from an analogous discrete time process, for which it is possible to find some solutions directly by determinantal methods.
First the stationary dam content distribution is found. The distribution of the probability of first emptiness is obtained both when overflow is, and is not allowed. This is followed by the probability the overflow before emptiness, which is then applied to determine the exact solution for an insurance risk problem with claims having a negative exponential distribution. The time-dependent content distribution is found, and the analogy with queueing theory is discussed.
KeywordsExact Solution Arrival Time Time Process Stochastic Process Discrete Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barlett, M. S.: An introduction to Stochastic processes. Cambridge University Press 1955.Google Scholar
- Cramér, H.: Mathematical methods of Statistics. Princeton University Press 1946.Google Scholar
- - Collective risk theory. FörsÄkringsaktielolaget Skandia 1955.Google Scholar
- Doob, J. L.: Stochastic processes. New York: John Wiley 1953.Google Scholar
- Erdelyi, A.: Tables of integral transforms 1. McGraw Hill 1954.Google Scholar
- Gani, J.: Problems in the probability theory of storage systems. J. Roy. statist. Soc., Ser. B 19, 181–207 (1957).Google Scholar
- Ghosal, A.: Emptiness in the finite dam. Ann. math. Statistics 31, 863–868 (1960).Google Scholar
- Kendall, D. G.: Some problems in the theory of dams. J. Roy. statist. Soc., Ser. B 19, 207–212 (1957).Google Scholar
- Moran, P. A. P.: A probability theory of dams and storage systems. Austral. J. appl. Sci., 5, 116–124 (1954).Google Scholar
- - The theory of storage. Methuen 1959.Google Scholar
- Prabhu, N. U.: Some exact results for the finite dam. Ann. math. Statistics 29, 1234–1243 (1958).Google Scholar
- Segerdahl, C. O.: On homogeneous random processes and collective risk theory. Uppsala: Almquist and Wiksells 1939.Google Scholar
- Takács, L.: Investigation of waiting time problems by reduction to Markov processes. Acta math. Acad. Sci. Hungar. 6, 101–129 (1955).Google Scholar
- Weesakul, B.: First emptiness in a finite dam. J. Roy. statist. Soc., Ser. B. 23, 343–351.Google Scholar
- - The time-dependent solution for a finite dam with geometric inputs. Austral. Math. Soc. Summer Research Institute report 1961.Google Scholar
- Widder, D. V.: The Laplace transform. Princeton University Press 1946.Google Scholar