Structural Attacks for Public Key Cryptosystems based on Gabidulin Codes
In this paper we look at the Gabidulin version of the McEliece cryptosystem (GPT) and its variants. We give an overview over the existing structural attacks on the basic scheme, and show how to combine them to get an effective attack for every GPT variant. As a consequence, there are no secure parameter sets left for GPT variants, which one would like to use in practice.
KeywordsPublic key cryptography Code based cryptography Rank distance codes Gabidulin codes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T.P. Berger, P. Loidreau, Security of the Niederreiter form of the GPT public-key cryptosystem, in IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, Lausanne, Suisse (IEEE Press, New York, 2002) Google Scholar
- S.R. Finch, Mathematical Constants. Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Applications. Cambridge, 2003. See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InfiniteProduct.html
- E.M. Gabidulin, On public-key cryptosystems based on linear codes, in Proc. of 4th IMA Conference on Cryptography and Coding 1993. Codes and Ciphers (IMA Press, Southend-on Sea, 1995) Google Scholar
- E.M. Gabidulin, P. Loidreau, Subfield subcodes of maximum-rank distance codes, in Seventh International Workshop on Algebraic and Combinatorial Coding Theory. ACCT, vol. 7, pp. 151–156 (2000) Google Scholar
- E.M. Gabidulin, A.V. Paramonov, O.V. Tretjakov, Ideals over a non-commutative ring and their applications to cryptography, in Proc. Eurocrypt ’91. LNCS, vol. 547 (Springer, Berlin, 1991) Google Scholar
- K. Gibson, The security of the Gabidulin public key cryptosystem, in Proc. of Eurocrypt’96. LNCS, vol. 1070 (Springer, Berlin, 1996), pp. 212–223 Google Scholar
- P. Loidreau, R. Overbeck, Decoding rank errors beyond the error-correction capability, in Proc. of ACCT-10, Zvenigorod (2006) Google Scholar
- R.J. McEliece, A public key cryptosystem based on algebraic coding theory, DSN Prog. Rep. 42–44, 114–116 (1978) Google Scholar
- A.V. Ourivski, Recovering a parent code for subcodes of maximal rank distance codes, in Proc. of WCC 03, pp. 357–363 (2003) Google Scholar
- R. Overbeck, Decoding interleaved Gabidulin codes and ciphertext-security for GPT variants. Available at http://eprint.iacr.org/2006/222
- R. Overbeck, Extending Gibson’s attacks on the GPT cryptosystem, in Proc. of WCC 2005. LNCS, vol. 3969 (Springer, Berlin, 2006), pp. 178–188 Google Scholar
- M. Ogle, T. Migler, K.E. Morrison, Weight and rank of matrices over finite fields, 2003. Available at http://www.calpoly.edu/~kmorriso/Research/research.html