Papillary Thyroid Cancer
Pearls and Pitfalls
Papillary thyroid cancer (PTC) accounts for 80% of all thyroid cancers and is the most rapidly increasing cancer in women in the United States.
Latent thyroid cancer is present in 6.2–36% of thyroid glands at autopsy.
Neck ultrasound evaluates the thyroid gland for suspicious nodules, as well as for thyroid cancer metastasis in cervical lymph nodes.
Fine needle aspiration biopsy cytology (FNAC) under ultrasound guidance accurately diagnoses papillary, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer and/or lymph node involvement.
A total or near-total thyroidectomy is indicated for most patients with clinical thyroid cancer greater than 1 cm in size.
Central neck and/or lateral neck dissection is indicated for clinically or scan-positive abnormal lymph nodes.
A nonoperative approach is being done in Japan for patients with isolated micro PTC (≤1 cm) by FNAC without nodal involvement, in whom the tumor is not adjacent to the recurrent laryngeal nerve or trachea....
- Papillary Thyroid Cancer
- Reference Work Title
- General Surgery
- Reference Work Part
- Section 8
- pp 1643-1650
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer London
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag London
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Deputy Director, Comprehensive Cancer Center University of Alabama School of Medicine
- 2. Department of General and Visceral Surgery, University of Heidelberg
- 3. Department of Surgery, University Hospital
- 4. James C. Mason Professor of Surgery Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- 5. Department of Clinical and Surgical Sciences, The University of Edinburgh Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
- 6. Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong Queen Mary Hospital
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco and UCSF/Mt. Zion Medical Center, 1600 Divisadero Street, #C347, San Francisco, CA, 94115, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.