Computational Organization Theory
- Terrill L. FrantzAffiliated withHSBC Business School, Peking University Email author
- , Kathleen M. CarleyAffiliated withSchool of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University
- , William A. WallaceAffiliated withRensselaer Polytechnic Institute
As inexpensive and massive amounts of computing power have rapidly become more widely available, the operational aspects of computational-based organizational research have become a reality. Today, the concepts of Computational Organization Theory (COT) can be easily implemented and practiced by an ever-increasingly larger group of researchers. Some foresee such computer-science related computational thinking (Wing 2006), as the future of all scholarly research, and COT is part of this broader trend.
COT involves the theorizing about, describing, understanding, and predicting the behavior of organizations and the process of organizing, using quantitative-based and structured approaches (computational, mathematical and logical models). This involves computational abstractions that are incorporated into organizational research and practice through COT tools, procedures, measures and knowledge.
The notion of an organization, as used here, spans the wide range of huma ...
- Computational Organization Theory
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science
- pp 246-252
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland
- 2. Robert H. Smith School of Business and Institute for Systems Research, University of Maryland
- Author Affiliations
- 323. HSBC Business School, Peking University, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
- 324. School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213, USA
- 325. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.