Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction
- Linda McWhorterAffiliated withDepartment of Psychology, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Temporomandibular dysfunction, temporomandibular joint disorder, temporomandibular disease and “TMJ”.
The temporomandibular joint, where the lower jaw or mandible connects with the skull, is located in front of each ear. Temporomandibular disorder (TMD) can be caused by injury to the joint, degenerative diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, and parafunction of the jaw (tooth grinding/clenching), and in some cases there is no known cause. Symptoms include jaw pain, headaches, limited range of motion, the jaw getting “stuck” in the open or closed position, and/or popping and clicking sounds on opening. These symptoms can interfere with speech, eating, and sleeping, resulting in additional psychosocial effects and health risks.
Based on the Research Diagnostic Criteria (RDC) for TMD, created by the International RDC-TMD Consortium, TMDs are classified into three groups, with diagnoses within each group mutually e ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Clinical Neuropsychology
- pp 2485-2487
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Editor Affiliations
- 671. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and Professor of Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry Virginia Commonwealth University – Medical Center Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- 672. Kessler Foundation Research Center
- 673. Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and Neurology and Neuroscience, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey – New Jersey Medical School
- 674. Independent Practice
- Linda McWhorter (2031)
- Author Affiliations
- 2031. Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 9201 University City Blvd, 28223, North Carolina Charlotte, NC, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.