Humphreys, William Jackson
- Klaus Hentschel
- … show all 1 hide
BornGap Mills, Virginia, USA, 3 February 1862
DiedWashington, District of Columbia USA, 10 November 1949
American physicist and meteorologist William Humphreys made laboratory measurements of the effects of gas pressure on the wavelengths and widths of absorption lines produced by common elements, which permitted estimates of the pressure, and therefore the location of the layer of the Sun’s atmosphere responsible for its absorption lines. The son of Andrew Jackson Humphreys and Eliza Ann (née Eads) Humphreys was born and raised in a rural setting. He attended the local public school and a high school in Pomeroy, Ohio. After studying at Washington University and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia, Humphreys earned his BA in 1886 and a degree in mechanical engineering 2 years later. For the next 5 years, 1889–1894, he taught physics at Miller school near Crozet, Virginia, and at Washington College, Chestertown, Maryland, later pursuing advanced study in physics and chemistry at the Uni ...
- Obituary. New York Times.
- Hentschel, K (1993) The Discovery of the Redshift of Solar Fraunhofer Lines by Rowland and Jewell in Baltimore around 1890. Historical Studies in the Physical Sciences 23: pp. 219-277
- — (1996). “William Jackson Humphreys’s Interpretation of Pressure Shifts and the Broadening of Spectral Lines in Terms of the Zeeman Effect.” In The Emergence of Modern Physics, edited by Dieter Hoffmann, Fabio Bevilacqua, and Roger H. Stuewer, pp. 159–167. Pavia: La Goliardica Pavese.
- — (1998). Zum Zusammenspiel von Instrument, Experiment und Theorie: Rotverschiebung im Sonnenspektrum und verwandte spektrale Verschiebungseffekte von 1880 bis 1960. Hamburg: Kovac, esp. Chaps. 3–4.
- Mitchell, SA, Woolard, EW (1950) William Jackson Humphreys. Science 112: pp. 74-75
- Sweetnam, George Kean (2000). The Command of Light: Rowland’s School of Physics and the Spectrum. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society, esp. pp. 73–74, 157.
- Zoch, RT (1950) William Jackson Humphreys. Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences 40: pp. 95-96
- Humphreys, William Jackson
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 1030-1031
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Klaus Hentschel (8128)
- Author Affiliations
- 8128. University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.