Impact of oil spills on mangrove forests
- Roy R. Lewis III
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Mangrove forests are the dominant intertidal plant community along most low wave energy shorelines in the tropics (Macnae 1968; Lugo and Snedaker 1974). Their value as habitat and detrital food sources for marine organisms as well as their direct commercial value as lumber, firewood and tanning agents are well documented (Odum and Heald 1972; Chapman 1976).
- Baker, J.B. 1981. The investigation of oil industry influences on tropical marine ecosystems. Mar. Poll. Bull. 12: 6–10.
- Baker, J.M., I.M. Suryowinoto, P. Brooks and S. Rowland. 1981. Tropical marine ecosystems and the oil industry; with a description of a post oil spill survey in Indonesian mangroves. In: Petroleum and the Marine Environment — Petromar 80, pp. 679–703 Graham and Trotman, Ltd., London, England.
- Bender, M.E., E.A. Shearls, L. Murray and R.J. Huggett. 1980. Ecological effects of experimental oil spills in eastern coastal plain estuaries. Env. Int. 3: 121–133.
- Birkeland, C., A.A. Reimer and J.R. Younge. 1976. Survey of marine communities in Panama and experiments with oil. Ecological Research Series (NTIS PB-253–409), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Naragansett, Rhode Island, U.S.A., 176 pp.
- Castle, R.W. 1977. Restoration of oil-contaminated shorelines. In: Proceedings of the 1977 Oil Spill Response Workshop. P.L. Fore, ed. Fish and Wildlife Service. FWS/OBS/77–24, 153 pp.
- Chan, E.I. 1977. Oil pollution and tropical littoral communities: biological effects of the 1975 Florida Keys oil spill. In: Proceedings of the 1977 Oil Spill Conference. J.O. Ludwigson ed. pp 539–542. American Petroleum Institute, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Coast Guard. API Pub. No. 4284.
- Chapman, V.J. 1976. Mangrove Vegetation. J. Cramer, Leutershausen, 499 pp.
- Cintron, G., A.E. Lugo, D.J. Pool and G. Morris. 1978. Mangroves of arid environments in Puerto Rico and adjacent islands. Biotropica 10: 110 121.
- Diaz-Piferrer, M. 1962. The effects of an oil spill on the shore of Guanica, Puerto Rico. pp. 12–13. Assoc. Island Mar. Labs, 4th meeting, Curacao.
- Getter, C.D., G.I. Scott and J. Michel. 1981. The effects of oil spills on mangrove forests: a comparison of five oil spill sites in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea. pp. 535–540. In: Proceedings of the 1981 Oil Spill Conference, American Petroleum Institute, Washington, DC.
- Gilfillan, E.S., D.S. Page, R.P. Gerber, S. Hansen, J. Cooley and J. Hothan. 1981. Fate of the Zoe Colocotroni oil spill and its effects on infaunal communities associated with mangroves. In: Proceedings of the 1981 Oil Spill Conference, pp. 353–360. American Petroleum Institute, Washington, DC.
- Gundlach, E.R., J. Michel, G.I. Scott, M.O. Hayes, C.D. Getter and W.P. Davis. 1979. Ecological assessment of the Peck Slip oil spill in eastern Puerto Rico. In: Proceedings, Ecological Damage Assessment Conference, pp. 303–317. Society of Petroleum Industry Biologists, 12–14 Nov 1979, Arlington, Virginia, U.S.A.
- Hayes, T.M. 1977. Sinking of tanker St. Peter off Colombia. In:.1.0. Ludwigson ed. Proceedings of the 1977 Oil Spill Conference, pp. 289–291. American Petroleum Institute, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and U.S. Coast Guard, API Pub. No. 4284. 640 pp.
- Holt, S., S. Rabalais, N. Rabalais, S. Cornelius and J.S. Holland. 1978. Effects of an oil spill on salt marshes at Harbor Island, Texas. I. Biology. In: The Proceedings of the Conference on Assessment of Ecological Impacts of Oil Spills, pp. 344–352. American Institute of Biological Sciences, Washington, DC.
- Jernelöv, A., O. Linden and I. Rosenblum. 1976. The St. Peter oil spill - an ecological and socio-economic study of effects. Columbia and Ecuador, May-.tune 1976. Swedish Water and Air Pollution Research Institute, Stockholm, Sweden, 34 pp. + Appendix.
- Lee, R.F. 1977. Accumulation and turnover of petroleum hydrocarbons in marine organisms. In: Fate and effects of petroleum hydrocarbons in marine ecosystems and organisms. D.A. Wolfe, ed. pp. 60–70. Pergamon Press, New York.
- Lee, R.F. 1980. Processes affecting the fate of oil in the sea. Chapter 12. In: Marine Environmental Pollution, 1. Hydrocarbons, R.A. Geyer, ed. pp. 337–351. Elsevier Scientific Publishing Co., Amsterdam, The Netherlands. CrossRef
- Lee, R.F., B. Dornseif, F. Gonsoulin, K. Tenore, R. Hanson and J. Blanton. 1980. Fate and effects of oil on Georgia coastal waters and marshes. Technical Report Series No. 80–7. Georgia Marine Science Center, Skidaway Island, GA.
- Lewis, R.R. 1979a. Oil and mangrove forests: the aftermath of the Howard Star oil spill. Florida Scientist 42 (suppl.): 26. (Abst.)
- Lewis, R.R. 1979b. Large scale mangrove restoration on St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. In: Proceedings of the Sixth Annual Conference on the Restoration and Creation of Wetlands. D.P. Cole, ed. pp. 231–242. Hillsborough Community College, Tampa, Florida.
- Lewis, R.R. 1980. Oil and mangrove forests: observed impacts 12 months after the Howard Star oil spill. Florida Scientist 43 (suppl.): 23. (Abst.)
- Lewis, R.R. and K.C. Haines. 1980. Large scale mangrove restoration on St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, II. Second Year. In: Proceedings of the Seventh Annual Conference on Restoration and Creation of Wetlands, pp. 137–148. Hill-borough Community College, Tampa, Florida.
- Linden, O. and A. Jernelöv. 1980. The mangrove swamp–an ecosystem in danger. Ambio 9: 81–88.
- Lopez, J.M. 1978. Ecological consequences of petroleum spillage in Puerto Rico. In: The Proceedings of the Conference on Assessment of Ecological Impacts of Oil Spills, pp. 894–908. American Institute of Biological Sciences, Washington, DC.
- Lugo, A.E. and S.C. Snedaker. 1974. The ecology of mangroves. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 5: 39–64.
- Macnae, W. 1968. A general account of the fauna and flora of mangrove swamps and forests in the Indo-West Pacific Region. In: Advances in Marine Biology, Volume 6. F.S. Russell and M. Younge, eds. pp. 74–270. Academic Press, New York.
- Nadeau, R.J. and E.T. Berquist. 1977. Effects of the March 18, 1973 oil spill near Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico and tropical marine communities. In: Proceedings of the 1977 Oil Spill Conference. J.O. Ludwigson, ed. pp. 535–538. American Petroleum Institute, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and U.S. Coast Guard. API Pub. No. 4284, 640 pp.
- National Academy of Sciences. 1975. Petroleum and the Marine Environment, 107 pp.
- Odum, W.E. and E.J. Heald. 1972. Trophic analyses of an estuarine mangrove community. Bull. Mar. Sci. 22:671–738. Odum, W.E. and R.E. Johannes. 1975. The response of mangroves to man-induced environmental stress. In: Tropical Marine Pollution. E.J.F. Wood and R.E. Johannes, eds. pp. 52–62. Elsevier, New York, 192 pp.
- Oil Spill Intelligence Report. 1980a. Nigeria plans clean up inspection following well blow-out. 7 March 1980. Cahners Publishing Company, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Oil Spill Intelligence Report. 1980b. Texaco supplies food to Nigerian villages. 18 April 1980. Cahners Publishing Company, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Page, D.S., D.W. Mayo, J.F. Cooley, E. Sorenson, E.S. Gilfillan and S.A. Hanson. 1979. Hydrocarbon distribution and weathering characteristics at a tropical oil spill site. In: The Proceedings of the 1979 Oil Spill Conference, pp. 709–712. American Petroleum Institute, Washington, DC.
- Rutzler, K. and W. Sterrer. 1970. Oil pollution damage observed in tropical communities along the Atlantic seaboard of Panama. Bioscience 20: 222–224. CrossRef
- Sanders, H.L., J.F. Grassel and G.R. Hampson. 1972. The West Falmouth oil spill. I. Biology. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, Massachusetts. Technial Report No. 72–20.
- Snedaker, S.C., J.A. Jimenez and M.S. Brown. 1981. Anomalous aerial roots in Avicennia germinans (L.) L. in Florida and Costa Rica. Bull. Mar. Sci. 31: 467–470.
- Spooner, M. 1970. Oil spill in Tarut Bay, Saudi Arabia. Mar. Poll. Bull. 1: 166–167.
- VAST/TRC. 1975. Oil spill – Bahia Sucia, Puerto Rico, 18 March 1973 – environmental effects. EPA contract 68–10–0542, 59 pp.
- Westree, B. 1977. Biological criteria for the selection of clean up techniques in salt marshes. In: Proceedings of the 1977 Oil Spill Conference. J.O. Ludwigson, ed. pp. 231–235. American Petroleum Institute, U.S. Enviromental Protection Agency, and U.S. Coast Guard. API Pub. No. 4284, 640 pp.
- Impact of oil spills on mangrove forests
- Book Title
- Biology and ecology of mangroves
- pp 171-183
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Tasks for vegetation science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.