Fast generation of 3D bone models for craniofacial surgical planning: an interactive approach
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A comprehensive image processing pipeline for efficient and accurate construction of 3D surface skull models for computer-aided craniofacial surgical planning is presented. In a pre-processing step, algorithms for noise and artefact reduction enhance initial CT data sets. Next, segmentation is real-time visualized in volume and provides the user with an instant overview of the ongoing segmentation. Finally, a dedicated implementation of the Marching Cube algorithm for bone surface extraction is employed. The pipeline was tested by generation of surface models from ten CT scans acquired for craniofacial surgical planning.
- Everett et al., “A 3D System for Planning and Simulating Minimally-Invasive Distraction Osteogenesis of the Facial Skeleton,” Proceedings of Third International Conference On Medical Robotics, Imaging and Computer Assisted Surgery, pp. 1029–1039, 2000.
- Keeve E., Girod S., Kikinis R., Girod B., “Deformable Modeling of Facial Tissue for Craniofacial Surgery Simulation,” Computer Aided Surgery, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, Vol. 3, No. 5, pp. 228–238, 1999.
- Petzold R., Zeilhofer H.-F., Kalender W.A., “Rapid prototyping technology in medicine -basics and applications” Comput Med Imaging Graph., Vol. 23 No. 5, pp. 277–84. 1999
- Keeve, E., Jansen T., Krol Z., Ritter L., von Rymon-Lipinski B., Sader R., Zeilhofer H.-F., Zerfass P., “JULIUS - An Extendable Software Framework for Surgical Planning and Image-Guided Navigation” Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention -MICCAI’O1, W.J. Niessen, M. A. Viergever, pp. 1336–37, Springer, Utrecht, 2001.
- Geman, S. Geman, D. “Stochastic relaxation, Gibbs distributions and the Bayesian restoration of images,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 6, pp. 721–742, 1984.
- Held K., Rota Kopps E., Krause B., Wells W., Kikinis R., Muller-Gartner H., “Markov Random Field Segmentation of Brain MR Images,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Vol.16, pp. 878–887,1998.
- Lorensen W. E., Cline H. E., “Marching Cube: A High Resolution 3D Surface Construction Algorithm,” Computer Graphics, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 163–169, 1987.
- Fast generation of 3D bone models for craniofacial surgical planning: an interactive approach
- Book Title
- CARS 2002 Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of the 16th International Congress and Exhibition Paris, June 26–29,2002
- pp 269-274
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2002 and CARS
- Additional Links
- Interactive bone segmentation
- craniofacial surgery
- volume visualization
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Computer Graphics and Computer Assisted Medicine, Secr.FR 3-3, Technical University Berlin
- 2. Faculty of Medicine, School of Allied Health Sciences, Department of Radiological Technology & Medical Engineering, Osaka University
- 3. Department of Radiology, Kurt Rossmann Laboratories, University of Chicago Hospitals
- 4. College of Medicine, Department of Radiology, The University of Iowa
- 5. School of Dentistry, Department of Diagnosis and General Dentistry, University of Louisville
- 6. Division of Image Processing, Department of Radiology, Leiden University Medical Center
- Author Affiliations
- 7. Surgical Systems Laboratory, Research Center caesar, Friedensplatz 16, 53111, Bonn, Germany
- 8. Dept. of Cranio- and Maxillofacial Surgery, Technical University of Munich, Ismaningerstr. 22, 81675, Munich, Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.