Electrically Charged Hydroxyapatite Enhances Immobilization and Proliferation of Osteoblasts
Hydroxyapatite (HAP) is in use to fabricate implants in dentistry and orthopaedy. To functionalise a surface of the HAP that has a direct contact to the human cells a surface electrical charge deposition is employed. The current technologies can not provide uniformity of the charge for contrarily situated surfaces.
To overcome such the disadvantage a HAP hydrogenation technology has been reached. As the result the surface charge has been engineered.
The charge was estimated owing to measurements of the photoelectron emission work function. The later was increased to ∼ 0.2 eV.
The negatively charged HAP surface in contrast with the uncharged one attached 10 times more osteoblatic cells and increased their proliferation capacity in 1.6 time
- Ratner B., Hoffman A., Schoen F., et al. (1996) Biomaterial science. London.
- Ito, S., Shinomiya, K., Nakamura, S., Kobayyashi, T., Nakamura, M., Yamashita, K. (2006) Effect of electrical polarization of hydroxyapatite ceramics on new bone formation. Journal of the Japanese Bio-Electrical Research Society 20: pp. 23-27
- Aronov, D., Molotskii, M., Rosenman, G. (2207) Charge-induced wettability modification. Applied Phys. Let. 90: pp. 104104-1-104104-1
- Karlov A., Khlusov I., Dekhtyar Yu., Polyaka N. Influence of hydrogenated calciumphosphate surface on potential on stromal stem cells in situ. The Abstracts of the present Conference.
- Bystrov, V., Bystrova, N., Dekhtyar, Yu/., Filippov, S., Karlov, A., Katashev, A., Meissner, C., Paramonova, E., Patmalnieks, A., Polyaka, N., Sapronova, A. (2006) Size depended electrical properties of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles IFMBE proc 14.: pp. 3149-3150
- Geguzin Ya. E. Diffusion zone. (1979). Moscow (In Russian).
- Akmene, R.J., Balodis, A.J., Dekhtyar, Yu.D., Markelova, G.N., Matvejevs, J.V., Rozenfelds, L.B., Sagaloviąs, G.L., Smirnovs, J.S., Tolkaąovs, A.A., Upminš, A.I. (1993) Exoelectron emission specrometre complete set of surface local investigation. Poverhnost, Fizika, Himija, Mehanika (Russian Journal) 8: pp. 125.-128
- Lumbikanonda, N., Sammons, R.L. (2001) Bone cell Attachment to Dental Implants of Different Surface characteristics. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants 16: pp. 627-636
- Electrically Charged Hydroxyapatite Enhances Immobilization and Proliferation of Osteoblasts
- Book Title
- 14th Nordic-Baltic Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
- Book Subtitle
- NBC 2008 16–20 June 2008 Riga, Latvia
- pp 23-25
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- IFMBE Proceedings
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- electrical charge
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Inst. of Biomedical Engineering and Nanotechnologies, Riga Technical University
- 2. Inst. of Atomic Physic and Spectroscopy, University of Latvia
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Institute of Biomedical Engineering and Nanotechnologies, Riga Technical University, 1 Kalku str, Riga, Latvia
- 4. School of Dentistry, St Chad’s Queensway, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, B4 6NN, UK
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.