Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy for Patients With Cutaneous Desmoplastic Melanoma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background: Although desmoplastic melanoma (DM) often presents at a locally advanced stage, nodal metastases are rare. We describe our experience with lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) in patients with DM to characterize the biological behavior of these tumors.
Methods: Twenty-seven patients with cutaneous DM underwent wide excision and attempted SLNB between 1996 and 2001. All pathology was reviewed by a single dermatopathologist (KB). Clinical and histological features were recorded.
Results: There were 20 male and 7 female patients. The median age was 64 years (range, 35–83 years). The head and neck was the most commonly involved anatomical region (n = 14). The median Breslow thickness was 2.2 mm. Twenty-four patients underwent successful SLNB. No patient had a positive sentinel node. At a median follow-up of 27 months, five patients recurred (four systemic and one local); all five had undergone successful SLNB. Two of these patients died of disease, two are alive with disease, and one remains alive and disease free. No patient experienced failure in a regional nodal basin.
Conclusions:DM is a biologically distinct form of melanoma, with a very low incidence of regional lymph node metastases, either at presentation or in long-term follow-up. This biology should be considered when designing rational treatment strategies for these patients.
- Conley J, Lattes R, Orr W. Desmoplastic malignant melanoma (a rare variant of spindle cell melanoma). Cancer 1971;28:914–36. CrossRef
- Quinn MJ, Crotty KA, Thompson JF, Coates AS, O’Brien CJ, McCarthy WH. Desmoplastic and desmoplastic neurotropic melanoma: experience with 280 patients. Cancer 1998;83:1128–35. CrossRef
- Carlson JA, Dickersin GR, Sober AJ, Barnhill RL. Desmoplastic neurotropic melanoma. A clinicopathologic analysis of 28 cases. Cancer 1995;75:478–94. CrossRef
- Jain S, Allen PW. Desmoplastic malignant melanoma and its variants. A study of 45 cases. Am J Surg Pathol 1989;13:358–73. CrossRef
- Gershenwald JE, Thompson W, Mansfield PF, et al. Multi-institutional melanoma lymphatic mapping experience: the prognostic value of sentinel lymph node status in 612 stage I or II melanoma patients. J Clin Oncol 1999;17:976–83.
- Coit DG. How we do it: the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center approach Cody HS Eds. Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy. London:: Martin Dunitz, 2002: 135–41.
- Patel SG, Coit DG, Shaha AR, et al. Sentinel lymph node biopsy for cutaneous head and neck melanomas. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2002;128:285–91.
- Clary BM, Brady MS, Lewis JJ, Coit DG. Sentinel lymph node biopsy in the management of patients with primary cutaneous melanoma: review of a large single-institutional experience with an emphasis on recurrence. Ann Surg 2001;233:250–8. CrossRef
- Morton DL, Chan AD. Current status of intraoperative lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymphadenectomy for melanoma: is it standard of care? J Am Coll Surg 1999;189:214–23. CrossRef
- Thelmo MC, Sagebiel RW, Treseler PA, et al. Evaluation of sentinel lymph node status in spindle cell melanomas. J Am Acad Dermatol 2001;44:451–5. CrossRef
- Payne WG, Kearney R, Wells K, et al. Desmoplastic melanoma. Am Surg 2001;67:1004–6.
- Jaroszewski DE, Pockaj BA, DiCaudo DJ, Bite U. The clinical behavior of desmoplastic melanoma. Am J Surg 2001;182:590–5. CrossRef
- Muller MG, van Leeuwen PA, van Diest PJ, Vuylsteke RJ, Pijpers R, Meijer S. No indication for performing sentinel node biopsy in melanoma patients with a Breslow thickness of less than 0.9 mm. Melanoma Res 2001;11:303–7. CrossRef
- Skelton HG, Smith KJ, Laskin WB, et al. Desmoplastic malignant melanoma. J Am Acad Dermatol 1995;32:717–25. CrossRef
- Smithers BM, McLeod GR, Little JH. Desmoplastic melanoma: patterns of recurrence. World J Surg 1992;16:186–90. CrossRef
- Egbert B, Kempson R, Sagebiel R. Desmoplastic malignant melanoma. A clinicohistopathologic study of 25 cases. Cancer 1988;62:2033–41. CrossRef
- Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy for Patients With Cutaneous Desmoplastic Melanoma
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 10, Issue 4 , pp 403-407
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Desmoplastic melanoma
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Local recurrence
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York
- 2. Department of Surgical Pathology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York
- 3. Department of Biostatistics, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York
- 4. Gastric and Mixed Tumor Service, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY, 10021