Vitamin D Deficiency is Correlated with Poor Outcomes in Patients with Luminal-type Breast Cancer
Vitamin D deficiency may be an indicator of poor prognosis in patients with breast cancer before surgery. We investigated the association between serum vitamin D concentration and breast cancer prognosis according to intrinsic cancer subtypes.
From June to December 2006, serum 25-OHD was measured in 310 Korean women with breast cancer who were treated at the Asan Medical Center, Korea. Clinicopathologic data were examined to determine the prognostic effects of serum 25-OHD. Expression of estrogen receptor (ER), progesterone receptor (PR), and epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (Her2) were measured using tissue microarrays. Patients were classified with luminal A, luminal B, Her2-enriched, or basal-like subtypes of breast cancer.
Mean patient age was 48.7 years, and mean serum 25-OHD concentration was 31.4 ± 16.1 ng/ml. The 25-OHD levels were deficient (< 20 ng/ml) in 75 patients (24.2%), insufficient (20–29 ng/ml) in 95 (30.6%), and sufficient (30–150 ng/ml) in 140 (45.2%). Women with deficient 25-OHD levels were at increased risk of recurrence compared with those with sufficient vitamin D levels (P = 0.002). The 25-OHD concentration was inversely associated with prognosis of patients with cancer of the luminal A (P = 0.012) and luminal B subtypes (P = 0.023), but not with the prognosis of patients with Her2/neu-enriched (P = 0.245) or triple-negative (P = 0.879) cancer subtypes. This association remained valid after adjustment for age, tumor size, nodal status, and estrogen receptor status (hazards ratio = 3.97; 95% confidence interval = 1.77–9.61).
Vitamin D deficiency may be associated with poor outcomes in patients with luminal-type breast cancer.
- Kemmis CM, Welsh J. Mammary epithelial cell transformation is associated with deregulation of the vitamin D pathway. J Cell Biochem. 2008;105(4):980–8. CrossRef
- Goodwin PJ, Ennis M, Pritchard KI, Koo J, Hood N. Prognostic Effects of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels in Early Breast Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(23):3757–63. CrossRef
- Kawase T, Matsuo K, Suzuki T, et al. Association between vitamin D and calcium intake and breast cancer risk according to menopausal status and receptor status in Japan. Cancer Sci. 2010;101(5):1234–40. CrossRef
- Cui Y, Rohan TE. Vitamin D, calcium, and breast cancer risk: a review. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prevent. 2006;15(8):1427–37. CrossRef
- Iqbal SJ. Vitamin D metabolism and the clinical aspects of measuring metabolites. Ann Clin Biochem. 1994;31(Pt 2):109–24.
- Hollis BW. Assessment of vitamin D nutritional and hormonal status: what to measure and how to do it. Calcif Tissue Int. 1996;58(1):4–5.
- Crew KD, Gammon MD, Steck SE, et al. Association between plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D and breast cancer risk. Cancer Prev Res. 2009;2(6):598–604. CrossRef
- Blackmore KM, Lesosky M, Barnett H, Raboud JM, Vieth R, Knight JA. Vitamin D from dietary intake and sunlight exposure and the risk of hormone-receptor-defined breast cancer. Am J Epidemiol. 2008;168(8):915–24. CrossRef
- McCullough ML, Rodriguez C, Diver WR, et al. Dairy, calcium, and vitamin D intake and postmenopausal breast cancer risk in the Cancer Prevention Study II Nutrition Cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prevent. 2005;14(12):2898–904. CrossRef
- Robien K, Cutler GJ, Lazovich D. Vitamin D intake and breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women: the Iowa Women’s Health Study. Cancer Causes Control. 2007;18(7):775–82. CrossRef
- Rainville C, Khan Y, Tisman G. Triple negative breast cancer patients presenting with low serum vitamin D levels: a case series. Cases J. 2009;2:8390. CrossRef
- Stoica A, Saceda M, Fakhro A, Solomon HB, Fenster BD, Martin MB. Regulation of estrogen receptor-alpha gene expression by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D in MCF-7 cells. J Cell Biochem. 1999;75(4):640–51. CrossRef
- Krishnan AV, Swami S, Feldman D. Vitamin D and breast cancer: inhibition of estrogen synthesis and signaling. J Steroid Biochemistry Molecul Biol. 2010;121(1–2):343–8. CrossRef
- Colston K, Hansen C. Mechanisms implicated in the growth regulatory effects of vitamin D in breast cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2002;9(1):45–59. CrossRef
- Knight JA, Wong J, Blackmore KM, Raboud JM, Vieth R. Vitamin D association with estradiol and progesterone in young women. Cancer Causes Control. 2010;21(3):479–83. CrossRef
- Narvaez CJ, Zinser G, Welsh J. Functions of 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) in mammary gland: from normal development to breast cancer. Steroids. 2001;66(3–5):301–8. CrossRef
- Narvaez CJ, Welsh J. Role of mitochondria and caspases in vitamin D-mediated apoptosis of MCF-7 breast cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2001;276(12):9101–7. CrossRef
- Sundaram S, Chaudhry M, Reardon D, Gupta M, Gewirtz DA. The vitamin D3 analog EB 1089 enhances the antiproliferative and apoptotic effects of adriamycin in MCF-7 breast tumor cells. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2000;63(1):1–10. CrossRef
- Sundaram S, Gewirtz DA. The vitamin D3 analog EB 1089 enhances the response of human breast tumor cells to radiation. Radiat Res. 1999;152(5):479–86. CrossRef
- Wang Q, Yang W, Uytingco MS, Christakos S, Wieder R. 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 and all-trans-retinoic acid sensitize breast cancer cells to chemotherapy-induced cell death. Cancer Res. 2000;60(7):2040–8.
- Holick MF. Vitamin D and sunlight: strategies for cancer prevention and other health benefits. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;3(5):1548–54. CrossRef
- Nanri A, Mizoue T, Matsushita Y, et al. Association between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and depressive symptoms in Japanese: analysis by survey season. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009;63(12):1444–7. CrossRef
- Holick MF. Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(3):266–81. CrossRef
- Hathcock JN, Shao A, Vieth R, Heaney R. Risk assessment for vitamin D. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;85(1):6–18.
- Kim MK, Kang MI, Oh KW, et al. The association of serum vitamin D level with presence of metabolic syndrome and hypertension in middle-aged Korean subjects. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2010;73(3):330–8. CrossRef
- Lee ES, Ahn J, Park HM. Serum vitamin D status of Korean postmenopausal women during the winter months. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2009;18(1):29–33.
- Ho-Pham LT, Lai TQ, Nguyen ND, Barrett-Connor E, Nguyen TV. Similarity in percent body fat between white and Vietnamese women: implication for a universal definition of obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010;18(6):1242–6. CrossRef
- Chung S, Song MY, Shin HD, et al. Korean and Caucasian overweight premenopausal women have different relationship of body mass index to percent body fat with age. J Appl Physiol. 2005;99(1):103–7. CrossRef
- Lym YL, Joh HK. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 is related to fish intake and exercise in Korean adult men. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2009;18(3):372–6.
- Santini D, Galluzzo S, Vincenzi B, et al. Longitudinal evaluation of vitamin D plasma levels during anthracycline- and docetaxel-based adjuvant chemotherapy in early-stage breast cancer patients. Ann Oncol. 2010;21(1):185–6. CrossRef
- Vitamin D Deficiency is Correlated with Poor Outcomes in Patients with Luminal-type Breast Cancer
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 18, Issue 7 , pp 1830-1836
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
- 2. Department of Pathology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
- 3. Department of Oncology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea