Gain and noise figure improvements in a shorter wavelength region of EDFA using a macrobending approach
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Gain and noise figure improvements are demonstrated in a shorter wavelength region of a double-pass EDFA using a macrobending approach. The EDF is wound in a small radius to suppress the amplified spontaneous emission at the longer wavelength in order to achieve a high amplification in the shorter wavelength. Gain enhancements of about 12–14 dB are obtained with macrobending at the wavelength region between 1480 and 1530 nm. The macrobending also reduces the noise figure of the EDFA at wavelengths shorter than 1525 nm with a maximum improvement of 25 dB.
- C.-H. Yeh and S. Chi, “Utilizations of EDFA and SOA in Series for Broadband Gain Amplification,” Laser Phys. Lett. 4, 433–436 (2007). CrossRef
- S.-K. Liaw, C.-K. Huang, and Y.-L. Hsiao, “Parallel-Type C+L Band Hybrid Amplifier Pumped by 1480 nm Laser Diodes,” Laser Phys. Lett. (2008) (in press).
- S. D. Emami, S. W. Harun, F. Abd-Rahman, et al., “Theoretical Study on the Effects of an Auxiliary Pump on the Performance of TDFA,” Laser Phys., No. 8, 977–982 (2008).
- J. Bromage, J.-C. Bouteiller, H. J. Thiele, et al., “S-Band All Raman Amplifiers for 40 × 10 Gb/s over 6 × 100 km of Nonzero Dispersion Fiber,” Opt. Fiber Commun. Conf. Exhibit 4, PD4-1–PD4-3 (2001).
- S. W. Harun, N. Saat, and H. Ahmad, “An Efficient S-Band Erbium-Doped Fiber Amplifier Using Double-Pass Configuration,” IEICE Electron. Express 2, 182–185 (2005). CrossRef
- S. W. Harun, K. Dimyati, K. K. Jayapalan, and H. Ahmad, “An Overview on S-Band Erbium-Doped Fiber Amplifier,” Laser Phys. Lett. 4, 10–15 (2006). CrossRef
- S. W. Harun, P. Poopalan, and H. Ahmad, “Gain Enhancement in Band EDFA Through a Double-Pass Technique,” IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett. 14, 296–297 (2002). CrossRef
- K. Thyagarajan and C. Kakkar, “S-Band Single-Stage EDFA With 25-dB Gain Using Distributed ASE Suppression,” IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett. 16(11), 2448–2450 (2004). CrossRef
- Gain and noise figure improvements in a shorter wavelength region of EDFA using a macrobending approach
Volume 18, Issue 11 , pp 1362-1364
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Center for Photonics Research and Applications, Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, 63100, Selangor, Malaysia
- 2. Photonics Research Center, Universiti Malaya, 50603, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia