Asteroids with satellites: Analysis of observational data
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The volume of observational information on asteroids and trans-Neptunians with satellites has significantly increased in recent years. In this paper we study the dependence of asteroid duplicity on the main physical parameters of the primary: the size and rotation rate. The proportion of binary asteroids is shown to grow rapidly with the rotation rate of the primary. The pattern of dependence between asteroid duplicity and size is more complex, with peaks in the area of small (<10 km) and large (>100 km) bodies. Noteworthy is the small number of binaries among typical-sized asteroids (10–150 km). All the orbits of asteroidal satellites whose rotation direction is known are shown to be prograde and have small eccentricities and inclinations.
- Fridman, A.M. and Gorkavyi, N.N., Physics of Planetary Rings, Springer, 1999.
- Gaftonyuk, N. and Gorkavyi, N., The Origin and Rotation of Binary Asteroids, Proc. Conf. “Astronomy in Ukraine—Past, Present and Future” Kiev, July 15–17, 2004, p. 201.
- Gaftonyuk, N.M. and Gorkavyi, N.N., The Origin and Rotation of Binary Asteroids, Kinemat. Fiz. Nebesn. Tel. Suppl. Ser., 2005, no. 5, pp. 483–486.
- Gorkavyi, N.N., Ozernoy, L.M., Mather, J.C., and Taidakova, T., The NGST and the Zodiacal Light in the Solar System, in NGST Science and Technology Exposition, Smith, E.P. and Long, K.S., Eds., 2000, vol. 207, pp. 462–467.
- Gorkavyi, N.N., The New Model of the Origin of the Moon, Bull. Am. Astron. Soc., 2004, vol. 36, p. 861.
- Gorkavyi, N.N., Moon and Double Asteroids Formation, Izv. Krymsk. Astrofiz. Obs., 2007, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 143–155.
- Harris, A.W., The Rotation Rates of Very Small Asteroids: Evidence for “Rubble Pileai]” Structure, Proc. 27th Lunar and Planet. Sci. Conf., Houston: Lunar and Planetary Institute, 1996, pp. 493–494.
- Johnston, Wm.R., Asteroids and Satellites. http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/astro/asteroidmoons.html
- Jones, J.H. and Palme, H., Geochemical Constraints on the Origin of the Earth and Moon, in Origin of the Earth and Moon, Canup, R.M. and Righter, K., Eds., Univ. Arizona Press, 2000, pp. 197–216.
- Origin of the Moon, Hartmann, W.K., Phillips, R.J., and Taylor, G.J., Eds., Houston: LPI Press, 1986.
- Pravec, P., Harris, A., and Michajlovsky, T., Asteroid Rotation, in Asteroids III, Bottke, W.F., Cellino, A., Paolicchi, P., and Binzel, R.P., Eds., Tuscon: Univ. Arizona Press, 2002, pp. 113–121.
- Pravec, P. and Harris, A.W., Binary Asteroid Population. 1. Angular Momentum Content, Icarus, 2007, vol. 190, pp. 250–259. CrossRef
- Ruskol, E.L., Proiskhozhdenie Luny (Origin of the Moon), Moscow: Nauka, 1975.
- Warner, B.D., Harris, A.W., and Pravec, P., MPC: The Asteroid Lightcurve Data Base (LCDB), Icarus, 2009, vol. 202, pp. 134–146. CrossRef
- Asteroids with satellites: Analysis of observational data
Solar System Research
Volume 47, Issue 3 , pp 196-202
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors