Predictors of Management Problems in Supported Housing: A Pilot Study
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The study examined predictors of managementproblems among residents of a supported single roomoccupancy hotel (SRO) for persons with severe andpersistent mental illness (SPMI). Case workers completed questionnaires on the prior six months. Wefound that medication-compliant residents without drugabuse were rarely disruptive, while those with co-morbidsubstance abuse were often disruptive. Residents non-compliant with medication also tended tocause management problems whether or not they abuseddrugs. Supported residences should be staffed andorganized to minimize medication non-compliance andsubstance abuse which are associated with behavioraldisruptiveness.
- Bartels, S.J., Teague, G.B., Drake, R.E., Clark, R.E., Bush, P.W. & Noordsy, D.L. Substance abuse in schizophrenia: service utilization and costs. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 1993, 181:4, 227–232.
- Cutler, D.L. Clinical care update, community residential options for the chronically mentally ill. Community Mental Health Journal, 1986, 22:1, 61–73.
- Fagan, J. Interactions among drugs, alcohol, and violence. Health Affairs, 1993, 12:65–79.
- Ford, J., Young, D., Perez, B.C., Obermeyer, R.L., Rohner, D.G. Needs assessment for persons with severe mental illness: what services are needed for successful community living? Community Mental Health Journal, 1992, 28:6, 491–503.
- Goldstein, J., Dziobek, J., Clark, R. & Bassuk, E. Supportive housing for the chronically mentally ill: matching clients with community environments. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 1990, 178:7, 415–422.
- Hillard, J.R. Predicting suicide. Psychiatric Services, 1995, 46:3, 223–225.
- Hodgins, S., Mednick, S.A., Brennan, P.A., Schulsinger, F. & Engberg, M. Mental disorder and crime: evidence from a Danish birth cohort, Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1996, 53:489–496.
- Marzuk, P.M. Violence, crime, and mental illness: how strong a link? Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1996, 53:481–486.
- Mulvey, E.P. Assessing the evidence of a link between mental illness and violence. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 1994, 45:7, 663–668.
- North, C., Smith, E. & Spitznagel, E. Violence and the homeless: an epidemiologic study of victimization and aggression. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 1994, 7:1, 95–110.
- Randolph, F.L., Lindenberg, R.E. & Menn, A.Z. Residential facilities for the mentally ill: needs assessment and community planning. Community Mental Health Journal, 1986, 22:2, 77–89.
- Regier, D.A., Farmer, M.E., Rae, D.S., Locke, B.Z., Keith, S.J., Judd, L.L. & Goodwin, F.K. Comorbidity of mental disorders with alcohol and other drug abuse. JAMA, 1990, 264:19, 2511–2518.
- Swanson, J.W. Alcohol abuse, mental disorder, and violent behavior: an epidemiologic inquiry. Alcohol Health & Research World, 1993, 17:2, 123–132.
- Swanson, J.W., Holzer, C.E. III, Ganju, V.K. & Jono, R.T. Violence and psychiatric disorder in the community: evidence from the epidemiologic catchment area surveys. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 1990, 41:7, 761–770.
- Torrey, E.F. Violent behavior by individuals with serious mental illness. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 1994, 45:7, 653–662.
- Predictors of Management Problems in Supported Housing: A Pilot Study
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 35, Issue 2 , pp 127-133
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links