Mental Health Training in Emergency Homeless Shelters
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The prevalence of mental illness among homeless persons points to the importance of providing mental health training to emergency shelter staff. The authors report on their own work and argue that such training offers the potential to significantly improve shelter staff's ability to respond to the needs of shelter residents with mental illness, and to the behavioral problems some of these individuals may pose for shelter operation. Mental health care providers should take into consideration organizational dynamics when planning and implementing such training.
- Argyriou, M., McCarty, D. (1992). Substance Abuse Programming in Shelter Settings. In Murray, M.M. (ed.), Community Demonstration Grant Projects for Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment of Homeless Individuals, Vol. III, Innovative Strategies for Treating Alcohol and Drug Abuse Problems Among Homeless Men and Women. Washington DC: National Institutes of Health, Pub. No 93-3540, pp. 1–49.
- Caton, C.L.M., Wyatt, R.J., Grunberg, J., Felix, A. (1990). An Evaluation of a Mental Health Program for Homeless Men. American Journal of Psychiatry, 147(3):286–289.
- Drake, R.E., Osher, F.C., Wallach, M.A. (1991). Homelessness and Dual Diagnosis. American Psychologist, 46(11), 1149–1158.
- Feins, J.D., Fosburg, L.B. (1998). Emergency Shelter and Services: Open the Front Door to the Continuum of Care. Washington, D.C. National Symposium on Homelessness Research (35 pages).
- Fischer, P.J., Brakey, W.R. (1991). The Epidemiology of Alcohol, Drug, and Mental Disorders among Homeless Persons. American Psychologist 46(11):1115–1128.
- Kass, F.I., Kahn, D.A., Felix, A. (1992). Day Treatment in a Shelter: A Setting for Assessment and Treatment. In Lamb, H.R., Bachrach, L.L., Kass, F.I., (eds.), Treating the Homeless Mentally Ill. Washington DC: American Psychiatric Association, pp. 263–277.
- Koegel, P., Burman, M.A., Baumohl, J. (1996). The Causes of Homelessness. In Baumohl J, (ed. for the National Coalition for the Homeless), Homelessness in America. Oryx Press, pp. 24–33.
- Leaf, P.J., Thompson, K.S., Lam, J.A., Jekel, J.F., Armand, E.T., Evans, A.E., Martinez, J.S., Rodriguez, C., Westman, W.C., Johnston, P., Rowe, M., Hartwell, S., Blue, H., Harp, T. (1993). Partnership in Recovery: Shelter-Based Services for Homeless Cocaine Abusers: New Haven. Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly, 10(3/4):77–90.
- Liberty, H.J., Johnson, B.D., Jainchill, N., Ryder, J., Messina, M., Reynolds, S., Mokerrom, H. (1997). Dynamic Recovery: Comparative Study of Therapeutic Communities in Homeless Shelters for Men. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 15(5):401–423.
- McCarty, D., Argyriou, M., Krakow, M., Mulvey, K. (1990). Stabilization Services for Homeless Alcoholics and Drug Addicts. In Argyriou, M., McCarty, D. (eds.), Treating Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Among Homeless Men and Women: Nine Community Demonstration Grants. New York: The Haworth Press, pp. 31–45.
- Mierlak, D., Galanter, M., Spivack, N., Dermatis, H., Jurewitz, E., De Leon, G. (1998). Modified Therapeutic Community Treatment for Homeless Dually Diagnosed Men. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 15(2):117–121.
- Randolph, F., Blasinsky, M., Leginski, W., Parker, L.B., Goldman, H.H. (1997). Creating Integrated Service Systems for Homeless Persons with Mental Illness: The ACCESS Program. Psychiatric Services 48(3):369–373.
- Schutt, R.K. (1987). Shelters as Organizations: Full-Fledged programs or Just a Place to Stay? In Kneerim, J. (ed.), Homelessness: Critical Issues for Policy and Practice. The Boston Foundation, pp. 43–47.
- Schutt, R.K., Goldfinger, S.M. (1992). Mentally Ill Persons in Emergency and Specialized Shelters: Satisfaction and Distress. New England Journal of Public Policy 8:407–418.
- Struening, E.L., Padgett, D.K. (1990). Physical Health Status, Substance Use and Abuse, and Mental Disorders Among Homeless Adults. Journal of Social Issues 46(4):65–81.
- Susser, E., Struening, E.L., Conover, S. (1989). Psychiatric Problems in Homeless Men. Archives of General Psychiatry 46:845–850.
- Mental Health Training in Emergency Homeless Shelters
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 37, Issue 3 , pp 287-295
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- mental illness
- emergency shelters
- mental health training