Fuels and Chemicals Manufacturing; Guidelines for Understanding and Minimizing the Production Costs
- Jean-Paul Lange
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
With increasing frequency,scientists and engineers are expected to understand and estimate the economic impact of their research and development efforts.Here,we provide simple concepts and tools used to understand the major cost contributions (e.g.,feed,investment or catalyst,and chemicals) for existing and emerging manufacturing technologies of chemicals and fuels.Particular attention will be paid to (i)selectivity and productivity for existing plants,(ii)energy management and its impact on investment costs,and (iii)cheaper feedstocks and their potential impact on investment costs.
- Boston consulting group, “Perspectives on experience” Boston, Mass. (1968).
- W. Sedriks, Petrochemical industry drivers. CHEMTECH November (1995) 56-60.
- K. Evertz, Polyethylene production in the area of metallocenes. 10th Int. Symposium on Large Chemical Plants (1998), Antwerpen, Belgium.
- J. J. H. M. Vincken, in “Precision process technology” eds. M. P. C. Weijnen and A. A. H. Drinkenburg (Kluwer Academic Publishers 1993, pp. 31-48).
- J. Biswas and I. E. Maxwell, Recent process-and catalyst-related developments in fluid catalytic cracking. Applied Catal. 63 (1990) 197-258.
- Product prices are quoted in European Chemicals News, Chemical Week, Chemical Market Reporter as well as on http://www.chemexp.com.
- A. Chauvel and G. Lefebvre, in “Petrochemical Processes: 1. Synthesis-Gas Derivatives and Major Hydrocarbons” ed. Technip (1989); idem, in “Petrochemical processes: 2. Major oxygenated, chlorinated and nitrated derivatives” Ed. Technip (1989).
- Disclosed costs of plants under construction are regularly reported in European Chemicals News and the Oil and Gas Journal.
- F. A. Holland, F. A. Watson, and J. K. Wilkinson, in “Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook”, 6th ed., eds. R. H. Perry, D. W. Green, and J. O. Maloney, (McGraw-Hill: 1984 pp. 25-1 25-79).
- J.-P. Lange and P. J. A Tijm, Process for converting methane to liquid fuels: Economic screening through energy management. Chem. Eng. Sci. 51(10) (1996) 2379-2387.
- H. Gaensslen, A short cut to investment costs. CHEMTECH (1979) 306-309.
- B. Cooker, A. M. Gaffney, J.-D. Jewson, and W. H. Onimus, Propylene epoxidation using chloride-containing silver catalysts. US patent 5,780,657 to Arco Chem. tech. (published on July 14, 1998).
- H. Borchert and U. Dingerdissen, Selective preparation process of acetic acid and catalysts therefore. WO patent 98/05,619 to Hoechst Res. & Tech. (published on February 12, 1998).
- A. K. Uriarte, M. A. Rodkin, M. J. Gross, A. S. Kharitonov and G. I. Panov, Direct hydroxylation of benzene to phenol by nitrous oxide. Stud. Surf. Sci. & Catal. 110 (1997) 857-864.
- C. N. Satterfield, in Heterogeneous catalysis in industrial practice 2nd edition, (McGraw-Hill: 1991).
- P. B. Weisz, CHEMTECH July (1982) 424-425.
- F. Marschner, F. W. Möller, and H. P. Gelbke, in Ullmanns Encyklopädie der Technischen Chemie Band 16, (Verlag Chemie: 1978 pp. 621-633).
- A. Solbakken, Synthesis gas production. Stud. Surf. Sci. and Catal. 61 (1991) 447-455.
- J.-P. Lange, Perspectives for manufacturing methanol at fuel value. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 36(10) (1997) 4282-4290.
- J.-P. Lange, Methanol synthesis: a short review of technology improvements, Catal. Today, in press.
- J. A. Moulijn, P. W. N. M. van Leeuwen, and R. A. van Santen, in Catalysis, an Integrated Approach to Homogeneous, Heterogeneous and Industrial Catalysis eds. Moulin, van Leeuwen, van Santen, (1993, pp. 3-21).
- M. Mukherjee and F. M. Dautzenberg, Current challenges in styrene technology. 10th Int. Symp. on Large Chemical Plants (1998), Antwerpen, Belgium, 71-86.
- F. Cavani and F. Trifiro, Appl. Catal. A: General 133 (1995) 219-239.
- R. A. Sheldon, ChemTech March (1994) 38-47.
- A. Scott, Chemical Week, February 2, 2000, p. 13; de Vos, R., Chemisch2weekblad 2000, 3, 11.
- Fuels and Chemicals Manufacturing; Guidelines for Understanding and Minimizing the Production Costs
Volume 5, Issue 2 , pp 82-95
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- process economics
- Jean-Paul Lange (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Shell Research and Technology Centre,Amsterdam, Badhuisweg 3, 1031, CM, Amsterdam, The Netherlands