Biology and life history of Dabry's sturgeon, Acipenser dabryanus, in the Yangtze River
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Dabry's sturgeon, Acipenser dabryanus, is a relatively small (130 cm, 16 kg) and now rare sturgeon restricted to the Yangtze River Basin. It behaves as a resident freshwater fish, does not undertake long distance migrations (except for spawning), and lives in a variety of habitats. It historically spawned in the upper Yangtze River, but the spawning sites are unknown. Acipenser dabryanus reaches maturity earlier than do other Chinese sturgeons, which gives the species aquaculture potential, and artificial spawning has been carried out. However, the native population in the Yangtze has sharply declined in the last two decades due to overfishing, pollution and habitat alteration and destruction, especially since the construction of the Gezhouba Dam, which was built in 1981 across the Yangtze River at Yichang, Hubei Province. Since 1981, Dabry's sturgeon rarely occurs below the Gezhouba Dam because downstream movements are blocked. Clearly, conservation of Dabry's sturgeon must be emphasized. Conservation methods may include protecting habitats, controlling capture and stock replenishment.
- Bemis, W.E., Grande, L. (1992) Early development of the actinopterygian head. I. External development and staging of the paddlefish Polyodon spathula. J. Morphol. 213: pp. 47-83
- Buckley, J., Kynard, B. Habitat use and behavior of prespawning and spawning shortnose sturgeon, Acipenser brevirostrum, in the Connecticut River. In: Binkowski, F.P., Doroshov, S.I. eds. (1985) North American Sturgeons: Biology and Aquaculture Potential. Dr W. Junk Publishers, Dordrecht, pp. 111-117
- Conte, F.S., Doroshov, S.I., Lutes, P.B. (1988) Hatchery manual for white sturgeon. University of California Press, Oakland
- Deng, Q.X., Hu, J.S. (1988) The skeletal system of Dabry's sturgeon, Acipenser dabryanus. The Biology of Sturgeons in Changjiang and Their Artificial Propagation. Sichuan Scientific & Technical Publishing House, Chengdu, pp. 179-187
- Duméril, A.H.A. (1868) Note sur trois poissons: Acipenser dabryanus, Polyodon gladius et Peristhethidion prionocephalum, accompagné de quelques considérations générales sur les groupes auxquels ces espèces appartiennent. Nouv. Arch. Mus. Nat. Hist. Nat. Paris 4: pp. 93-116
- Fu, C.R. (1988) Age and growth of Dabry's sturgeon, Acipenser dabryanus. The Biology of Sturgeons in Changjiang and Their Artificial Propagation. Sichuan Scientific & Technical Publishing House, Chengdu, pp. 220-226
- Graham, L.K. Establishing and maintaining of paddlefish population by stocking. In: Dillard, J.G., Graham, L.K., Russell, T.R. eds. (1986) The Paddlefish: Status, Management and Propagation, North Central Division. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, pp. 96-104
- Günther, A. (1873) Report on a collection of fishes from China. Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist. 12: pp. 239-250
- He, X.F. Biology of rare and precious fishes of Sichuan Province. In: Shi, B.N. eds. (1990) Ichthyofauna and Fisheries Resources of Sichuan Province. Southwest Normal University Press, Chongqing, pp. 125-157
- Jia, J.D., Wang, Z.L. (1981) Ecology of Dabry's sturgeon, Acipenser dabryanus. J. Freshwater Fisheries 6: pp. 12-13
- Ke, F.E., Zhuang, P., Wei, Q.W. Status and management of fisheries in the Yangtze Valley. In: Guan, T.C., Wang, X.Q. eds. (1989) Development and Management of Rivers in China. China Science & Technology Press, Beijing, pp. 313-320
- Khodorevskaya, R.P., G.F. Dovgopol, O.L. Zhuravleva & A.D. Vlasenko. 1996. Present status of commercial stocks of sturgeons in the Caspian Sea Basin. Env. Biol. Fish. (this volume).
- Nichols, J.T. (1943) The fresh-water fishes of China. American Museum of Natural History. Natural History of Central Asia, New York, pp. 1-322
- Nikolski, G.V. (1960) Fishes of the Amur Valley. China Science Press, Beijing
- Smith, T.I.J. 1986. Culture of North American sturgeons for fishery enhancement. pp. 19–27. In: A. K. Sparks (ed.) Marine Farming and Enhancement, Proceedings of the Fifteenth U.S.-Japan Meeting on Aquaculture, October 22–23, 1986, Kyoto.
- Smith, T.I.J. In: Williot, P. eds. (1991) Development of shortnose sturgeon, Acipenser brevirostrum, stock enhancement program in North America. Acipenser, CEMAGREF Publ., Bordeaux, pp. 329-337
- Tian, Y.D., Chen, D.Y. (1986) The first success of artificial propagation of Dabry's sturgeon, Acipenser dabryanus, cultured in pond. J. Today's Fisheries 12: pp. 13
- Tu, M.R. (1980) Some information on the nutrition of Dabry's sturgeon, Acipenser dabryanus. J. Fisheries Sci. 1: pp. 11-14
- Wei, Q., F. Ke, J. Zhang, P. Zhuang, J. Luo, R. Zhou & W. Yang. 1996. Biology, fisheries, and conservation of sturgeons and paddlefish in China. Env. Biol. Fish. (this volume).
- Wu, H.W. (1930) On some fishes collected from the Yangtze Valley. Sinensia 1: pp. 65-86
- Wu, J., Wu, M.S. Status and utilization of fisheries in Jingsha River. In: Huang, W. L. eds. (1990) Utilization and Conservation of Potamodromous Fisheries in Sichuan Province. Sichuan Scientific & Technical Publishing House, Chengdu, pp. 53-61
- Wu, X.W. (1963) Economic animals of China (freshwater fishes). China Science Press, Beijing
- Xie, D.J. (1979) Artificial propagation and rearing of Dabry's sturgeon, Acipenser dabryanus. J. Sichuan Fisheries 1: pp. 2-8
- Xie, D.J., Tian, Y.P., Chen, D.Y. (1981) Artificially induced maturity of male Dabry's sturgeon, Acipenser dabryanus, cultured in ponds. J. Freshwater Fisheries 5: pp. 14-17
- Xie, D.J., Y.P. Tian & D.Y. Chen. 1992. Study on domestication and propagation of the Changjiang sturgeon in ponds. p. 6. In: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Sturgeons and Paddlefishes, June 5–8, 1992, Chongqing.
- Yang, G.R. (1986) Ichthyography of Hubei Province. Hubei Science & Technology Press, Wuhan
- Zen, Q.Z. (1990) Fisheries resources in Yangtze valley. China Ocean Press, Beijing
- Zhang, M.K. (1988) Movements and distribution of Dabry's sturgeon, Acipenser dabryanus. The Biology of Sturgeons in Changjiang and Their Artificial Propagation. Sichuan Scientific & Technical Publishing House, Chengdu, pp. 230-231
- Zhang, Y.L., Fu, C.R. (1993) Redescription of a sturgeon, Acipenser dabryanus Duméril 1868 (Pisces, Acipenseriformes). Acta Zool. Taiwanica 4: pp. 59-61
- Zhu, Y.D. (1963) Ichthyography of Eastern China. China Science Press, Beijing
- Zhuang, P. 1993. Impacts of the three gorges project on the aquatic animal resources in Yangtze Valley and the tactics for their conservation. pp. 26–29. In: J.D. Jia (ed.) Proceedings of the Annual Academic Meeting of Chinese Fisheries Society, 15–19 December 1993, Beijing (in Chinese).
- Biology and life history of Dabry's sturgeon, Acipenser dabryanus, in the Yangtze River
Environmental Biology of Fishes
Volume 48, Issue 1-4 , pp 257-264
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Gezhouba dam
- population size