A Seeded Sample of Concealed-Carry Permit Holders
- Tom W. Smith
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A pilot study using a seeded sample finds that gun-carrying and permit holding are accurately reported by concealed-carry permit holders. This is consistent with the findings of past validation studies of gun ownership. Moreover, the similarity in gun uses across the seeded and cross-section samples indicates that both collect consistent data.
- Bradburn, N. M., and Sudman, S. (1979). Improving Interview Method and Questionnaire Design, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Council for Market and Opinion Research (1999). Highlights from CMOR's Cooperation Tracking System Data, at www.cmor.org/resp_coop_news0501.htm
- Davis, J. A., Smith, T. W., and Marsden, P. V. (2001). General Social Surveys, 1972-2000: Cumulative Codebook, NORC, Chicago.
- Hemenway, D. (1997). Survey Research and Self-Defense Gun Use: An Explanation for Extreme Overestimates J. Crim. Law Criminol. 87: 1430ff.
- Hemenway, D., and Azrael, D. (2000). The Relative Frequency of Offensive and Defensive Gun Uses: Results from a National Survey. Violence Vict. 15: 257-272.
- Kellermann, A. L. et al. (1990). Validating Survey Responses to Questions about Gun Ownership among Owners of Registered Handguns. Am. J. Epidemiol. 131: 1080-1084.
- Kleck, G. (1991). Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America, Aldine de Gruyter, New York.
- Kleck, G. (1997). Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control, Aldine de Gruyter, New York.
- Kleck, G., and Gertz, M. (1998). Carrying Guns for Protection: Results from the National Self-Defense Survey. J. Res. Crime Delinq. 35: 193-224.
- Kleck, G., and Gertz, M. (1997). The Illegitimacy of One-Sided Speculation: Getting the Defensive Gun Estimate Down J. Crim. Law Criminol. 87: 1446ff.
- Ludwig, J., Cook, P. J., and Smith, T. W. (1998). The Gender Gap in Reporting Household Gun Ownership. Am. J. Public Health 88: 1715-1718.
- McDowall, D., Loftin, C., and Presser, S. (2000). Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment. J. Quant. Criminol. 16: 1-19.
- Rafferty, A. P. et al. (1995). Validity of a Household Gun Question in a Telephone Survey. Public Health Rep. 110: 282-288.
- Smith, T. W. (1997). A Call for a Truce in the DGU War. J. Crim. Law Criminol. 87: 1462-1469.
- Smith, T. W. (2000). 1999 National Gun Policy Survey of the National Opinion Research Center: Research Findings. NORC Report.
- Smith, T. W. (2001). 2001 National Gun Policy Survey of the National Opinion Research Center: Research Findings. NORC Report.
- Smith, T. W., and Smith, R. J. (1995). Changes in Firearms Ownership Among Women, 1980-1994. J. Crim. Law Criminol. 86: 133-149.
- A Seeded Sample of Concealed-Carry Permit Holders
Journal of Quantitative Criminology
Volume 19, Issue 4 , pp 441-445
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Tom W. Smith (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National Opinion Research Center, University of Chicago, 1155 East 60th Street, Chicago, IL, 60637