Styrene butadiene styrene polymer modification of road bitumens
- G. D. Airey
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper describes the polymer modification of road bitumens with SBS. Six polymer modified bitumens (PMBs) were produced by mixing bitumen from two crude oil sources with an SBS copolymer at three polymer contents. The rheological characteristics of the SBS PMBs were analysed by means of dynamic mechanical analysis using a dynamic shear rheometer (DSR). The results of the investigation indicate that the degree of SBS modification is a function of bitumen source, bitumen-polymer compatibility and polymer concentration. When the polymer concentration and bitumen-polymer compatibility allow a continuous polymer network to be established, modification is provided by a highly elastic network which increases the viscosity, stiffness and elastic response of the PMB, particularly at high service temperatures. However, ageing of the SBS PMBs tends to result in a reduction of the molecular size of the SBS copolymer with a decrease in the elastic response of the modified road bitumen.
- Van Der Poel, C. (1954) J. Appl. Chem. 4: pp. 221
- Ajour, A. M. (1981) Bulletin of the LCPC 113: pp. 9
- Brule, B., Brion, Y., Tanguy, A. (1988) AAPT 57: pp. 41
- S. F. Brown, R. D. Rowlett and J. L. Boucher, in Proceedings of the Conference on US SHRP Highway Research Program: Sharing the Benefits, ICE (1990) p. 181.
- Isacsson, U., Lu, X. (1995) Mat. Struc. 28: pp. 139
- Collins, J. H., Bouldin, M. G., Gelles, R., Berker, D. A. (1991) AAPT 60: pp. 43
- Goodrich, J. L. (1991) AAPT 60: pp. 80
- King, G. N., King, H. W., Chaverot, P., Planche, J. P., Harders, O. (1993) Proceedings of the 5th Eurobitume Congress, Stockholm 1A: pp. 51
- Lu, X., Isacsson, U. (1997) Con. Build. Mat. 11: pp. 23
- Isacsson, U., Lu, X. (1999) J. Mater. Sci. 34: pp. 3737
- Lu, X., Isacsson, U. (2001) Poly. Test. 20: pp. 77
- Airey, G. D. (2002) Con. Build. Mat. 16: pp. 473
- Diehl, C. F. (2000) Proceedings of the 2nd Eurasphalt and Eurobitume Congress, Barcelona 2: pp. 93
- A. Bardesi, B. Brule, J. F. Corte, E. Diani, A. Gerritsen, G. Lefebvre, J. P. Planche, D. Sybilski, A. Stawiarski, F. Verhee and S. Watkins, Technical Committee Flexible Roads (C8), World Road Association (PIARC) (1999).
- Bull, A. L., Vonk, W. C. (1984) Shell Chemical Technical Manual TR 8: pp. 15
- Whiteoak, C. D. (1990) Shell Bitumen Handbook. Shell Bitumen, Surrey, UK
- W. C. Vonk and A. L. Bull, in Proceedings of the VII International Roofing Congress (Munich, Germany, 1989).
- Cavaliere, M. G., Diani, E., Sacconi, L. V. (1993) Proceedings of the 5th Eurobitume Congress, Stockholm 1A: pp. 138
- J. C. Petersen, TRR 999 (1984) 13.
- Isacsson, U., Lu, X. (1999) AAPT 68: pp. 35
- J. P. Serfass, A. Joly and J. Samanos, in “Polymer Modified Asphalt Binders,” edited by K. R. Wardlaw and S. Shuler, ASTM, STP 1108 (1992) p. 281.
- B. Brule, TRR 1535 (1996) 48.
- J. P. Pfeiffer and P. M. Van Doormal, J. Inst. Petrol. (1936).
- Goodrich, J. L. (1988) AAPT 57: pp. 116
- D. A. Anderson, D. W. Christensen, H. U. Bahia, R. Dongre, M. G. Sharma, C. E. Antle and J. Button, SHRP-A-369, National Research Council, Washington, D.C. (1994).
- J. C. Petersen, R. E. Robertson, J. F. Branthaver, P. M. Harnsberger, J. J. Duvall and S. S. Kim, SHRP-A-370, National Research Council, Washington, D.C. (1994).
- Airey, G. D., Brown, S. F. (1998) AAPT 67: pp. 66
- Airey, G. D., Rahimzadeh, B., Collop, A. C. (2002) AAPT 71: pp. 89
- G. D. Airey, A. E. Hunter and B. Rahimzadeh, in Proceedings of the Fourth European Symposium on Performance of Bituminous and Hydraulic Materials in Pavements, Nottingham (2002) p. 3.
- Ferry, J. D. (1980) Viscoelastic Properties of Polymers. John Wiley and Sons, New York
- Airey, G. D. (2002) Int. J. Road Mat. Pave. Des. 3: pp. 403
- Lu, X., Isacsson, U. (1998) Fuel 77: pp. 961
- Lu, X., Isacsson, U. (2000) J. App. Poly. Sci. 76: pp. 1811
- S. Linde and U. Johansson, “Polymer Modified Asphalt Binders,” edited by K. R. Wardlaw and S. Shuler, ASTM, STP 1108 (1992).
- E. A. M. Kuppens, in Proceedings of the Rheology of Bituminous Binders European Workshop, Eurobitume, Paper No. 49, Brussels (1995).
- Styrene butadiene styrene polymer modification of road bitumens
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 39, Issue 3 , pp 951-959
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- G. D. Airey (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Nottingham Centre for Pavement Engineering, School of Civil Engineering, University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK