Determinants of Earnings Management Ethics Among Accountants
- Rafik Z. Elias
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Earnings management behavior is a concern of standard-setters, regulators and the accounting profession. This study examines the ethics of this practice using a national sample of 763 accounting practitioners, faculty and students. Possible determinants of the ethics of this practice such as perceived role of ethics and social responsibility, and personal moral philosophies (i.e. idealism and relativism) are explored. Results indicate a positive relationship between social responsibility, focus on long-term gains, idealism, and the ethical perception of earnings management and negative relationship between focus on short-term gains, relativism and the ethical perception of this practice. Implications for the accounting profession as it deals with the issue of earnings management are discussed.
- Barnett, T., K. Bass and G. Brown: 1994, ‘Ethical Ideology and Ethical Judgement Regarding Ethical Issues in Business', Journal of Business Ethics 13, 469–480.
- Barton, J.: 2001, ‘Does the Use of Financial Derivatives Affect Earnings Management Decisions?', The Accounting Review 76, 1–26.
- Bass, K., T. Barnett and G. Brown: 1999, ‘Individual Difference Variables, Ethical Judgements, and Ethical Behavioral Intentions', Business Ethics Quarterly 9, 183–205.
- Borkowski, S. C. and Y. J. Ugras: 1998, ‘Business Students and Ethics: A Meta-Analysis', Journal of Business Ethics 17, 1117–1127.
- Brown, P. R.: 1999, ‘Earning Management: A Subtle (and Troublesome) Twist to Earnings Quality', Journal of Financial Statement Analysis 4, 61–63.
- Chambers, D. R. and N. J. Lacey: 1996, ‘Corporate Ethics and Shareholder Wealth Maximization', Journal of the Financial Management Association 6, 93–96.
- Davis, K.: 1974, ‘The Meaning and Scope of Social Responsibility', in J. W. McGuire (ed.), Contemporary Management: Issues and Viewpoints (Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ), pp. 629–633.
- Dechow, P., R. G. Sloan and A. P. Sweeney: 1996, ‘Causes and Consequences of Earnings Manipulation: An Analysis of Firms Subject to Enforcement Actions by the SEC', Contemporary Accounting Research 13, 1–36.
- Dobson, J.: 1999, ‘Is Shareholder Wealth Maximization Immoral?', Financial Analysts Journal 55, 69–75.
- Dye, R. A.: 1988, ‘Earning Management in an Overlapping Generations Model', Journal of Accounting Research 26, 195–235.
- Fischer, M. and K. Rosenzweig: 1995, ‘Attitudes of Students and Accounting Practitioners Concerning the Ethical Acceptability of Earnings Management', Journal of Business Ethics 14, 433–444.
- Ford, R. C. and W. D. Richardson: 1994, ‘Ethical Decision Making: A Review of the Empirical Literature', Journal of Business Ethics 13, 205–221.
- Forsyth, D. R.: 1980, ‘A Taxonomy of Ethical Ideologies', Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 39, 175–184.
- Forsyth, D. R. and J. L. Nye: 1990, ‘Personal Moral Philosophies and Moral Choice', Journal of Research in Personality 24, 398–414.
- Grant, C., T. Depree, M. Chauncey and G. H. Grant: 2000, Earnings Management and the Abuse of Materiality', Journal of Accountancy 190, 41–44.
- Healy, P. M.: 1985, ‘Effect of Bonus Schemes on Accounting Decisions', Journal of Accounting and Economics 7, 85–107.
- Healy, P. M. and J. M. Wahlen: 1999, ‘A Review of the Earnings Management Literature and its Implications for Standard Setting', Accounting Horizons 13, 365–383.
- Hirst, D. E. and P. E. Hopkins: 1998, ‘Comprehensive Income Reporting and Analysts' Valuation Judgements', Journal of Accounting Research (Supplement), 47–75.
- Kaplan, S. E.: 2001a, ‘Further Evidence on the Ethics of Managing Earnings: An Examination of the Ethically Related Judgements of Shareholders and Non-shareholders', Journal of Accounting and Public Policy 20, 27–44.
- Kaplan, S. E.: 2001b, ‘Ethically Related Judgements by Observers of Earnings Management', Journal of Business Ethics 32, 285–298.
- Kasznick, R.: 1999, ‘On the Association between 44 Rafik Z.Elias Voluntary Disclosure and Earnings Management', Journal of Accounting Research 37, 57–82.
- Levitt, A., Jr.: 1998, ‘The Numbers Game', The CPA Journal 68, 14–19.
- Loomis, C. J.: 1999, ‘Lies, Damned Lies, and Managed Earnings', Fortune 140, 74–92.
- Merchant, K. A.: 1989, Rewarding Results: Motivating Profit Center Managers (Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA).
- Merchant, K. A.: 1990, ‘The Effects of Financial Controls on Data Manipulation and Management Myopia', Accounting, Organizations and Society 15, 297–313.
- Merchant, K. A. and J. Rockness: 1994, ‘The Ethics of Managing Earnings: An Empirical Investigation', Journal of Accounting and Public Policy 13, 79–95.
- Parfet, W. U.: 2000, ‘Accounting Subjectivity and Earnings Management: A Preparer Perspective', Accounting Horizons 14, 481–488.
- Robin, D. P. and R. E. Reidenbach: 1987, ‘Social Responsibility, Ethics, and marketing Strategy: Closing the Gap between Concept and Application', Journal of Marketing 51, 44–58.
- Roman, R., S. Hayibor and B. Agle: 1999, ‘The Relationship Between Social and Financial Performance', Business and Society 38, 109–125.
- Roy, N.: 1998, ‘Accounting Troubles: Management Sets the Tone', Financial Executive 14, 6–7.
- Schlenker, B. R. and D. R. Forsyth: 1977, ‘On the Ethics of Psychological Research', Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 13, 369–396.
- Schipper, K.: 1989, ‘Commentary on Earnings Management', Accounting Horizons 3, 91–102.
- Singhapakdi, A., S. J. Vitell, K. C. Rallapalli and K. L. Kraft: 1996, ‘The Perceived Role of Ethics and Social Responsibility: A Scale Development', Journal of Business Ethics 15, 1131–1140.
- Steiner, G. A.: 1972, ‘Social Policies for Business', California Management Review (Winter), 17–24.
- Determinants of Earnings Management Ethics Among Accountants
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 40, Issue 1 , pp 33-45
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- accounting ethics
- earnings management
- ethics determinants
- Industry Sectors
- Rafik Z. Elias (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Business, Cameron University, Lawton, OK, 73505, U.S.A.