X-ray diffraction characterisation of low temperature plasma nitrided austenitic stainless steels
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The nitrided layers produced by low temperature (400–500 °C) plasma nitriding on austenitic stainless steels, AISI 316, 304 and 321, have been characterised by X-ray diffraction, in conjunction with metallographic and chemical composition profile analysis. The thin, hard and corrosion resistant layers exhibited similar X-ray diffraction patterns, but the positions of the major diffraction peaks varied with nitriding temperature and nitrogen concentration profile. The low temperature nitrided layers are predominantly composed of a phase with a face centred cubic (fcc) structure, which is named “S” phase. However, the positions of the diffraction peaks from the “S” phase deviated in a systematic way from those for an ideal fcc lattice. Detailed analysis of the deviation suggested that very high compressive residual stresses and stacking faults were formed in the layers, resulting in a highly distorted and disordered fcc structure. The lattice parameter of the distorted and disordered “S” phase was found to increase with increasing nitrogen concentration.
- T. Bell and Y. Sun, in Proc. Int. Conf. Surf. Sci. & Eng., edited by Zhu Rhizang, Beijing, May 15–19, 1995 (Int. Academic Publishers, Beijing, 1995) p. 9.
- B. Billon and A. Hendry, Surf. Eng. 1(2) (1985) 114.
- E. Rolinski, ibid. 3(1) (1987) 35.
- Z. L. Zhang and T. Bell, ibid. 1(2) (1985) 131.
- K. Ichii and K. Fujimura, edited by E. Broszeit, W. D. Munz, H. Oechsner, K. T. Rie and G. K. Wolf in “Plasma Surface Engineering,” Vol. 2 (DGM Informationgesellschaft mbH, Oberursel, 1989) p. 1187.
- P. A. Dearnley, A. Namver, G. G. A. Hibberd and T. Bell, Plasma-Surface Engineering, Vol. 1, p. 219.
- K. Gemma, Y. Satoh, I. Ushioku and M. Kawakami, Surf. Eng. 11(3) (1995) 240.
- M. Samandi, B. A. Shedden, T. Bell, G. A. Collins, R. Hutchings and J. Tendys, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B12(2) (1994) 935.
- E. Menthe, K-T. Rie, J. W. Schultze and S. Simson, Surf. Coat. Tech. 74/75 (1995) 412.
- K. Ichii, K. Fujimura and T. Takase, Techn. Rep. Kansai Univ. 27 (1986) 135.
- T. Roux, A. Saker, C. Leroy, C. Frantz and H. Michel, in Proc. 9th Int. Congr. Heat. Treat. Surf. Eng., IFHT'94, Nice, France, 1994, p. 291.
- M. Samandi, Surf. Eng. 11(2) (1995) 156.
- T. Bell and Y. Sun, in “Heat Treatment & Surface Engineering Characterisation & Analytical Methods,” Proc. 5th Int. Sem. Heat Treat. Surf. Eng., IFHT, edited by M. Salehi (Isfahan, Eran, 1995) p. 21.
- E. J. Mittemeijer, J. Metals 37(9) (1985) 16.
- S. R. Goodman and Hsun hu, Trans. Met. Soc. AIME 230 (1964) 1413.
- S. V. Nagender naidu and Trilok singh, Wear 166 (1993) 141.
- C. N. J. Wagner, J. P. Boisseau and E. N. Aqua, Trans. Met. Soc. AIME 233 (1965) 1280.
- C. S. Barrett, Trans. AIME, J. Metals 188 (1950) 123.
- M. S. Paterson, J. Appl. Physics 23 (1952) 805.
- B. E. Warren, Progr. Metal Phys. 8 (1959) 147.
- K. Salmutter and F. Stangler, Z. Metallk. 51 (1960) 544.
- R. E. Schramm and R. P. Reed, Metall. Trans. 6A (1975) 1345.
- X. Y. Li and Y. Sun, unpublished work, 1997.
- S. P. Hannula, P. Nenonen and J. Malarius, in “High Nitrogen Steels,” edited by J. Foct and A. Hendry (The Institute of Metals, London, 1989) p. 266.
- X. Y. Li, M. Phil Thesis, The University of Birmingham, 1997.
- X-ray diffraction characterisation of low temperature plasma nitrided austenitic stainless steels
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 34, Issue 19 , pp 4793-4802
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors