Superhydrophobic surfaces produced by applying a self-assembled monolayer to silicon micro/nano-textured surfaces
- Yong SongAffiliated withDepartment of Mechanical Engineering, University of Arkansas
- , Rahul Premachandran NairAffiliated withDepartment of Mechanical Engineering, University of Arkansas
- , Min ZouAffiliated withDepartment of Mechanical Engineering, University of Arkansas Email author
- , Yongqiang WangAffiliated withOcean NanoTech, LLC.
A novel way of producing superhydrophobic surfaces by applying a self-assembled monolayer (SAM) to silicon micro/nano-textured surfaces is presented in this paper. The micro/nano-textured surfaces on silicon substrates were generated by the aluminum-induced crystallization (AIC) of amorphous silicon (a-Si) technique. Octadecyltrichlorosilane (OTS) SAMs were then applied to the textured surfaces by dip coating. The topography and wetting properties of the resulting surfaces were characterized using scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and a video-based contact angle measurement system. The results show that by introducing OTS SAMs on the silicon micro/nano-textured surfaces, superhydrophobic surfaces with water contact angles (WCAs) of 155° were obtained, as compared to the WCAs of OTS-modified smooth silicon surfaces of about 112°. Surface topography was found to directly influence the WCA as predicted by the Cassie-Baxter model.
KeywordsSuperhydrophobic wetting property micro/nano-textured surfaces octadecyltrichlorosilane self-assembled monolayer aluminum-induced crystallization of amorphous silicon
- Superhydrophobic surfaces produced by applying a self-assembled monolayer to silicon micro/nano-textured surfaces
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 2, Issue 2 , pp 143-150
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Tsinghua Press
- Additional Links
- wetting property
- micro/nano-textured surfaces
- self-assembled monolayer
- aluminum-induced crystallization of amorphous silicon
- Industry Sectors