Floridi’s Fourth Revolution and the Demise of Ethics
- Michael Byron
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Luciano Floridi has proposed that we are on the cusp of a fourth revolution in human self-understanding. The information revolution with its prospect of digitally enhancing human beings opens the door to engineering human nature. Floridi has emphasized the importance of making this transition as ethically smooth as possible. He is quite right to worry about ethics after the fourth revolution. The coming revolution, if it unfolds as he envisions, spells the demise of traditional ethical theorizing.
- Aristotle. (1999). Nicomachean ethics (2nd ed). Tr. T. Irwin. Indianapolis, IN: Hackett.
- Floridi, L. (2008). Artificial intelligence's new frontier: Artificial companions and the fourth revolution. Metaphilosophy, 39(4/5), 651–655. CrossRef
- Floridi, L. (2009). Information ethics: Its nature and scope. In J. van den Hoven & J. Weckert (Eds.), Information Technology and Moral Philosophy (pp. 40–65). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Floridi, L., & Sanders, J. (2004). On the morality of artificial agents. Minds and Machines, 14(3), 349–379. CrossRef
- Inwood, B., & Gerson, L. P. (2008). The Stoics reader: Selected writings and testimonia. Indianapolis, IN: Hackett.
- Kant, I. (1993). Grounding for the metaphysics of morals (3rd ed.). Tr. J. Ellington. Indianapolis, IN: Hackett.
- Noddings, N. (2003). Caring: A feminine approach to ethics and moral education (2nd ed.). Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Floridi’s Fourth Revolution and the Demise of Ethics
Knowledge, Technology & Policy
Volume 23, Issue 1-2 , pp 135-147
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Luciano Floridi
- Fourth revolution
- Virtue ethics
- Information ethics
- Industry Sectors
- Michael Byron (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Philosophy Department, Kent State University, P.O. Box 5190, Kent, OH, 44224, USA