Rayleigh-benard convection during solidification of an eutectic solution cooled from the top
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The interaction between laminar Rayleigh-Benard convection and directional solidification is studied for the case of an eutectic solution kept in a rectangular cavity cooled from the top. Experiments and numerical simulations are carried out using an NH4Cl-H2O solution as the model fluid. The flow is visualized using a sheet of laser light scattered by neutrally buoyant, hollow-glass spheres seeded in the fluid. The numerical modeling is performed using a pressure-based finite-volume method according to the SIMPLER algorithm. The present configuration enables us to visualize flow vortices in the presence of a continuously evolving solid/liquid interface. Clear visualization of the Rayleigh-Benard convective cells and their interaction with the solidification front are obtained. It is observed that the convective cells are characterized by zones of up-flow and down-flow, resulting in the development of a nonplanar interface. Because of the continuous advancement of the solid/liquid interface, the effective liquid height of the cavity keeps decreasing. Once the height of the fluid layer falls below a critical value, the convective cells become weaker and eventually die out, leading to the growth of a planar solidification front. Results of flow visualization and temperature measurement are compared with those from the numerical simulation, and a good agreement is found.
- H.E. Huppert: J. Fluid Mech., 1990, vol. 212, pp. 209–40. CrossRef
- H.E. Huppert and M.G. Worster: Nature, 1985, vol. 314, pp. 703–07. CrossRef
- F. Chen, T.L. Yang, and J.W. Lu: J. Appl. Phys., 1993, vol. 74, pp. 7531–41. CrossRef
- C.F. Chen: J. Fluid Mech., 1995, vol. 293, pp. 81–98. CrossRef
- F. Chen: J. Crys. Growth, 1997, vol. 179, pp. 277–86. CrossRef
- J.S. Turner, H.E. Huppert, and R.S.J. Sparks: J. Petrol., 1986, vol. 27, pp. 397–437.
- G. Brandeis and C. Jaupart: Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 1986, vol. 77, pp. 345–61. CrossRef
- R.C. Kerr, A.W. Woods, M.G. Worster, and H.E. Huppert: J. Fluid Mech., 1990, vol. 216, pp. 323–42. CrossRef
- R.C. Kerr, A.W. Woods, M.G. Worster, and H.E. Huppert: J. Fluid Mech., 1990, vol. 217, pp. 331–48. CrossRef
- R.C. Kerr, A.W. Woods, M.G. Worster, and H.E. Huppert: J. Fluid Mech., 1990, vol. 218, pp. 337–54. CrossRef
- S.H. Davis, U. Muller, and C. Dietsche: J. Fluid Mech., 1984, vol. 144, pp. 133–51. CrossRef
- W.D. Bennon and F.P. Incropera: Int J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1987, vol. 30, pp. 2161–70. CrossRef
- A.D. Brent, V.R. Voller, and K.J. Reid: Num. Heat Transfer, 1988, vol. 13, pp. 297–318.
- V.R. Voller, A.D. Brent, and C. Prakash: Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1989, vol. 34, pp. 1717–32.
- P.W. Emms and A.C. Fowler: J. Fluid Mech., 1994, vol. 262, pp. 111–39. CrossRef
- D. Morvan, M.E. Ganaoui, and P. Bonboux: Int J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1998, vol. 42, pp. 573–79. CrossRef
- S.V. Patankar: Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, Hemisphere/McGraw-Hill, Washington, D.C., 1980.
- S. Chakraborty and P. Dutta: Metall. Trans., 2001, vol. 32B, pp. 562–64. CrossRef
- Rayleigh-benard convection during solidification of an eutectic solution cooled from the top
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B
Volume 33, Issue 4 , pp 605-612
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors