Evolution of Carbide Precipitates in 2.25Cr-1Mo Steel during Long-Term Service in a Power Plant
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Carbide precipitation from the steel matrix during long-term high-temperature exposure can adversely affect the fracture toughness and high-temperature creep resistance of materials with implications on the performance of power plant components. In the present work, carbide evolution in 2.25Cr-1Mo steel after long-term aging during service was investigated. Boiler pipe samples of this steel were removed from a supercritical water-cooled coal-fired power plant after service times of 17 and 28 years and a mean operational temperature of 810 K (537 °C). The carbide precipitation and coarsening effects were studied using the carbon extraction replica technique followed by analysis using transmission electron microscopy and energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. The carbides extracted using an electrolytic technique were also analyzed using X-ray diffraction to evaluate phase transformations of the carbides during long-term service. Small ball punch and Vickers hardness were used to evaluate the changes in mechanical performance after long-term aging during service.
- Baker, R.G., Nutting, J. (1959) J. Iron Steel Inst. 192: pp. 257-68
- Fujita, N., Bhadeshia, H.K.D.H., Kikuchi, M. (2002) Metall. Mater. Trans. A 33A: pp. 3339-47 CrossRef
- Pigrova, G.D., Sedov, V.M., Archakov, Y.I. (1997) Met. Sci. Heat Treatment 39: pp. 371-75 CrossRef
- Pizzo, P.P., Mandurrago, G.L. (1981) Trans. ASME 103: pp. 62-70
- Abdel-Latif, A.M., Corbett, J.M., Taplin, D.M.R. (1982) Met. Sci. 16: pp. 90-96
- Stevens, R.A., Lonsdale, D. (1985) J. Mater. Sci. 20: pp. 3631-38 CrossRef
- R.L. Klueh: Proc. Conf., Environmental Degradation of Engineering Materials, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, VA, 1977, pp. 643–51.
- Wendell, B.J., Avyle, J.A. (1960) Metall. Trans. A 11A: pp. 1275-85
- Ohba, T., Kimura, K., Abe, F., Yagi, K., Nonaka, I. (2005) Mater. Sci. Technol. 21: pp. 476-82 CrossRef
- James, M.L., Klueh Ronald, L., William, R.L. (1975) Metall. Trans. A 6A: pp. 1949-55
- J. Orr, F.R. Beckitt, and G.D. Fawkers: Ferritic Steel for Fast Reactor Steam Generators, Proc. Int. Conf. Held by the British Nuclear Energy Society, Distributed by Telford, London, UK, 1997, pp. 91–109.
- Mao, X., Takahashi, H. (1987) J. Nucl. Mater. 150: pp. 42-52 CrossRef
- D. Gandy: “The Grade 22 Low Alloy Steel Handbook,” Technical Report, Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, CA, 2005, pp. 30–31.
- Evolution of Carbide Precipitates in 2.25Cr-1Mo Steel during Long-Term Service in a Power Plant
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 41, Issue 6 , pp 1441-1447
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors