Surgical Treatment of Isolated Patellofemoral Osteoarthritis
- E. Carlos Rodriguez-Merchan MD, PhD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Isolated patellofemoral (PF) osteoarthritis (OA) affects 9% of persons older than 40 years. Nonoperative treatment should be exhausted fully before surgical treatment.
The purpose of this article is to review the literature after 2008 with the aim of answering the following question: Which of the following surgical procedures has the highest survival rate and the lowest revision rate in advanced isolated PF OA: patellofemoral arthroplasty (PFA), total knee arthroplasty (TKA) or lateral facetectomy.
The search engine was MedLine. The keywords used were: PF OA and PFA. Three hundred and fifty-three articles were found between 2008 and 25 July 2013. Of those, only 23 were selected and reviewed because they were strictly focused on the topic and the question of this article.
The types of studies reported so far have a low level of evidence (levels III and IV). Most of them are prospective case series (level IV). Some are systematic reviews of level III studies. Reported survival rate of lateral facetectomy is 85% at 5 years, 67% at 10 years and 47% at 20 years. Reported failure rate of lateral facetectomy is 26% at 10 years and 16% at 12 years. The reported average time of reoperation is 8 years and 37% of such procedures fail. Survival rate of PFA has been reported to be 87.5% on average (range, 60–100%). The revision rate of PFA is 20%. Recent improvements in PFA design have resulted in improvements in short-and medium-term results, similar to those of TKA.
There is still no gold standard for the surgical treatment of isolated PF OA. However, PFA or TKA appear to be the most recommendable treatment in cases that do not respond to conservative treatment.
- Arumilli BR, Ng AB, Ellis DJ, Hirst P. Unusual mechanical complications of unicompartmental low contact stress mobile bearing patellofemoral arthroplasty: a cause for concern? The Knee. 2010; 17: 362-4. CrossRef
- Becker R, Röpke M, Krull A, Musahl V, Nebelung W. Surgical treatment of isolated patellofemoral osteoarthritis. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2008; 466: 443-9. CrossRef
- Beitzel K, Schöttle PB, Cotic M, Dharmesh V, Imhoff AB. Prospective clinical and radiological two-year results after patellofemoral arthroplasty using an implant with an asymmetric trochlea design. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2013; 21: 332-9. CrossRef
- Dahm DL, Al-Rayashi W, Dajani K, Shah JP, Levy BA, Stuart MJ. Patellofemoral arthroplasty versus total knee arthroplasty in patients with isolated patellofemoral osteoarthritis. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2010; 39: 487-91.
- Delanois RE, McGrath MS, Ulrich SD, et al. Results of total knee replacement for isolated patellofemoral arthritis: when not to perform a patellofemoral arthroplasty. The Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2008; 39: 381-8. CrossRef
- Duncan R, Peat G, Thomas E, Wood L, Hay E, Croft P. Does isolated patellofemoral osteoarthritis matter? Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2009; 17: 1151-5. CrossRef
- Dy CJ, Franco N, Ma Y, Mazumdar M, McCarthy MM, Gonzalez Della Valle A. Complications after patello-femoral versus total knee replacement in the treatment of isolated patello-femoral osteoarthritis. a meta-analysis. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2012; 20: 2174-90. CrossRef
- Hutt J, Dodd M, Bourke H, Bell J. Outcomes of total knee replacement after patellofemoral arthroplasty. The Journal of Knee Surgery. 2013; 26: 219-24.
- Lonner JH. Patellofemoral arthroplasty. Orthopedics. 2010; 33: 653.
- Lonner JH. Patellofemoral arthroplasty. Instructional Course Lectures. 2010; 59: 67-84.
- Lonner JH, Bloomfield MR. The clinical outcome of patellofemoral arthroplasty. The Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2013; 44: 271-80. CrossRef
- Lüring C, Tingart M, Drescher W, Springorum HR, Kraft CN, Rath B. Therapy of isolated arthritis in the patellofemoral joint: are there evidence-based options? (Article in German). Orthopade. 2011; 40: 902-6. CrossRef
- Lustig S, Magnussen RA, Dahm DL, Parker D. Patellofemoral arthroplasty, where are we today? Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2012; 20: 1216-26. CrossRef
- Mont MA, Johnson AJ, Naziri Q, Kolisek FR, Leadbetter WB. Patellofemoral arthroplasty: 7-year mean follow-up. The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2012; 27: 358-61. CrossRef
- Montserrat F, Alentorn-Geli E, León V, Ginés-Cespedosa A, Rigol P. Partial lateral facetectomy plus insall’s procedure for the treatment of isolated patellofemoral osteoarthritis: survival analysis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012. doi:10.1007/s00167-012-2286-x
- Montserrat F, Alentorn-Geli E, León V, Ginés-Cespedosa A, Rigol P. Treatment of isolated patellofemoral osteoarthritis with lateral facetectomy plus insall’s realignment procedure: long-term follow-up. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013; 21(11): 2572-2577. CrossRef
- Odumenya M, Costa ML, Parsons N, Achten J, Dhillon M, Krikler SJ. The Avon patellofemoral joint replacement: five-year results from an independent centre. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010; 92: 56-60. CrossRef
- Sarda PK, Shetty A, Maheswaran SS. Medium term results of Avon patellofemoral joint replacement. Indian J Orthop. 2011; 45: 439-44. CrossRef
- Tarassoli P, Punwar S, Khan W, Johnstone D. Patellofemoral arthroplasty: a systematic review of the literature. Open Orthop J. 2012; 6: 340-7. CrossRef
- van Jonbergen HP, Poolman RW, van Kampen A. Isolated patellofemoral osteoarthritis. Acta Orthopaedica. 2010; 81: 199-205. CrossRef
- Walker T, Perkinson B, Mihalko WM. Patellofemoral arthroplasty: the other unicompartmental knee replacement. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (American). 2012; 94: 1712-20. CrossRef
- Wetzels T, Bellemans J. Patellofemoral osteoarthritis treated by partial lateral facetectomy: results at long-term follow up. The Knee. 2012; 19: 411-5. CrossRef
- Yadav B, Shaw D, Radcliffe G, Dachepalli S, Kluge W. Mobile-bearing, congruent patellofemoral prosthesis: short-term results. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery (Hong Kong). 2012; 20: 348-52.
- Surgical Treatment of Isolated Patellofemoral Osteoarthritis
HSS Journal ®
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 79-82
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- patellofemoral joint
- surgical treatment
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, La Paz University Hospital, Paseo de la Castellana 261, 28046, Madrid, Spain
- 2. School of Medicine, Autónoma University, Madrid, Spain