Betting on Machina’s reflection example: an experiment on ambiguity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In a recent article, Machina (Am Econ Rev forthcoming, 2008) suggested choice problems in the spirit of Ellsberg (Q J Econ 75:643–669, 1961), which challenge tail-separability, an implication of Choquet expected utility (CEU), to a similar extent as the Ellsberg paradox challenged the sure-thing principle implied by subjective expected utility (SEU). We have tested choice behavior for bets on one of Machina’s choice problems, the reflection example. Our results indicate that tail-separability is violated by a large majority of subjects (over 70% of the sample). These empirical findings complement the theoretical analysis of Machina (Am Econ Rev forthcoming, 2008) and, together, they confirm the need for new approaches in the analysis of ambiguity for decision making.
- Abdellaoui, M., Vossmann, F., Weber, M. (2005) Choice-based elicitation and decomposition of decision weights for gains and losses under uncertainty. Management Science 51: pp. 1384-1399 CrossRef
- Baillon, A., L’Haridon, O., & Placido, L. (2008). Risk, ambiguity, and the rank-dependence axioms: A comment. Working Paper, HEC-Paris School of Management.
- Birnbaum, M. (2008) New paradoxes of risky decision making. Psychological Review 115: pp. 463-501 CrossRef
- Camerer, C., Ho, T.H. (1994) Violations of the betweenness axiom and nonlinearity in probability. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 8: pp. 167-196 CrossRef
- Camerer, C., Weber, M. (1992) Recent developments in modeling preferences: Uncertainty and ambiguity. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 5: pp. 325-370 CrossRef
- Chew, H.S., Wakker, P. (1996) The comonotonic sure-thing principle. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 12: pp. 5-27 CrossRef
- Conlisk, J. (1989) Three variants on the allais example. American Economic Review 79: pp. 392-407
- Diecidue, E., Wakker, P. (2001) On the intuition of rank-dependent utility. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 23: pp. 281-298 CrossRef
- Diecidue, E., Wakker, P., Zeelenberg, M. (2007) Eliciting decision weights by adapting de finetti’s betting-odds method to prospect theory. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 34: pp. 179-199 CrossRef
- Ellsberg, D. (1961) Risk, ambiguity and the savage axioms. Quarterly Journal of Economics 75: pp. 643-669 CrossRef
- Fennema, H., Wakker, P. (1996) A test of rank-dependent utility in the context of ambiguity. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 13: pp. 19-35 CrossRef
- Fox, C., Tversky, A. (1995) Ambiguity aversion and comparative ignorance. The Quarterly Journal of Economics 110: pp. 585-603 CrossRef
- Frisch, D., Baron, J. (1988) Ambiguity and rationality. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making 1: pp. 149-157 CrossRef
- Gilboa, I. (1987) Expected utility with purely subjective non-additive probabilities. Journal of Mathematical Economics 16: pp. 65-88 CrossRef
- Gilboa, I., Schmeidler, D. (1989) Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior. Journal of Mathematical Economics 18: pp. 141-153 CrossRef
- Halevy, Y. (2007) Ellsberg revisited: An experimental study. Econometrica 75: pp. 503-536 CrossRef
- Harrison, G., Lau, M., Rutström, E. (2007) Estimating risk attitudes in Denmark: A field experiment. Scandinavian Journal of Economics 109: pp. 341-368 CrossRef
- Harrison, G., List, J., Towe, C. (2007) Naturally occurring preferences and exogenous laboratory experiments: A case study of risk aversion. Econometrica 75: pp. 433-458 CrossRef
- Hey, J., Lolito, G., & Maffioletti, A. (2007). Choquet ok? Discussion Paper, University of York.
- Kahneman, D., Tversky, A. (1979) Prospect theory: An analysis of decision under risk. Econometrica 47: pp. 263-291 CrossRef
- L’Haridon, O., Placido, L. (2008) An allais paradox for generalized expected utility theories?. Economic Bulletin 4: pp. 1-6
- Luce, R., Marley, A. (2005) Ranked additive utility representations of gambles: Old and new axiomatizations. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 30: pp. 21-62 CrossRef
- Machina, M. (2008). Risk, ambiguity, and the rank-dependence axioms. American Economic Review, forthcoming.
- McCrimmon, K., & Larsson, S. (1979). Utility theory: Axioms versus paradoxes. In M. Allais, & O. Hagen (Eds.), Expected utility hypotheses and the Allais paradox (pp. 27–145). D. Reidel.
- Mukerji, S., & Tallon, J. M. (2004). An overview of economic applications of David Schmeidler’s models of decision making under uncertainty. In I. Gilboa (Ed.), Uncertainty in economic theory: A collection of essays in honor of David Schmeidler’s 65th birthday. Routledge Publishers.
- Quiggin, J. (1982) A theory of anticipated utility. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 3: pp. 323-343 CrossRef
- Sarin, R., Wakker, P. (1992) A simple axiomatization of nonadditive expected utility. Econometrica 60: pp. 1255-1272 CrossRef
- Savage, L. (1954). The foundations of statistics (2nd ed., Vol. 1972). Wiley, New York: Dover Publications.
- Schmeidler, D. (1989) Subjective probability and expected utility without additivity. Econometrica 57: pp. 571-587 CrossRef
- Siniscalchi, M. (2008). Vector expected utility and attitudes toward variation. Discussion papers, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Slovic, P., Tversky, A. (1974) Who accepts Savage’s axiom?. Behavioral Science 19: pp. 368-373 CrossRef
- Tversky, A., Kahneman, D. (1992) Advances in prospect theory: Cumulative representation of uncertainty. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 5: pp. 297-323 CrossRef
- Wakker, P., Tversky, A. (1993) An axiomatization of cumulative prospect theory. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 7: pp. 147-175 CrossRef
- Wu, G. (1994) An empirical test of ordinal independence. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 9: pp. 39-60 CrossRef
- Wu, G., Gonzalez, R. (1999) Nonlinear decision weights in choice under uncertainty. Management Science 45: pp. 74-85 CrossRef
- Wu, G., & Gonzalez, R. (1999b). Dominance violations and event spitting in decision under uncertainty. Unpublished Manuscript.
- Betting on Machina’s reflection example: an experiment on ambiguity
Theory and Decision
Volume 69, Issue 3 , pp 375-393
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Choquet expected utility
- Experimental economics
- Industry Sectors