A fascinating guide to creationist minds
- Stefaan Blancke
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
On a dark and cold December evening in 2008, a colleague and I were driving to a small town in Belgium to meet with two members of the creationist organization Creabel for an interview. I already had some idea of what the average creationist believes and, surely, to a large extent, the Belgian creationists confirmed the stereotype. However, what particularly struck me was their sincere concern with the fate of our souls if we were to continue to endorse evolution. This made me realize that to them, the question whether one accepts evolution or creation is not a matter of scientific fact, but in a very real sense, a matter of life and death. Although this experience was very illuminating, I have not pursued such encounters with creationists afterward and have continued my research on creationism at a more abstract level. Jason Rosenhouse, however, is different. Being a mathematician, he has developed the unlikely habit of attending creationist conferences and visiting creationist museum ...
- Boudry, M., S. Blancke, and J. Braeckman. 2010. How not to attack intelligent design creationism: Philosophical misconceptions about methodological naturalism. Foundations of Science 15(3): 227–244. CrossRef
- Edis, T. 2002. The ghost in the universe. God in light of modern science. Amherst: Prometheus Books.
- Fales, E. 2009. Animadversions on Kitzmiller v. Dover: Correct ruling, flawed reasoning, from http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/evan_fales/intelligent-design.html.
- Fishman, Y.I. 2009. Can science test supernatural worldviews? Science & Education 18(6–7): 813–837. CrossRef
- Numbers, R.L. 2009. Myth 24. That creationism is a uniquely American phenomenon. In Galilei goes to jail and other myths about science and religion, ed. R.L. Numbers, 215–223. Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press.
- Pennock, R.T. 1999. Tower of Babel. The evidence against the new creationism. Cambridge: MIT Press.
- A fascinating guide to creationist minds
Volume 22, Issue 2 , pp 435-437
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Stefaan Blancke (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy and Moral Sciences, Ghent University, Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 49, 9000, Ghent, Belgium